Communication between robot and LCD display

• I have an inspiration, I want to complete a project by clicking a specific button on the touch screen that can control the robot forward, backward, grasping, and a series of movements. But I'm still a novice in robotics and I don't know how I should choose a robot. I am also curious about how the communication between the robot and the display is going to work.

Maybe someone can help me with a detailed answer on how to choose a robot and how to communicate.:)

• AD
  • HawkME

Approved the thread.
  • please provide more details...

there are hundreds of robot brands.... with different connectivity options...

Thank you for reaching out, the LCD I'm using is a STONE touchscreen display with RS485, RS232, and TTL interfaces, I don't know much about robot brands, so if you have a good suggestion please give me a recommendation.

By the way can you please tell me how the robot communicates with the LCD?

• you started discussion in forum section for industrial robots. industrial robots are usually relying on either industrial fieldbus technology or on proprietary hardware and software interfaces that are brand specific.

an example of industrial fieldbus would be ProfiBus, DeviceNet, CompoBus etc.

They all have roots in RS485 hardware but they are still are different animals using different (and very specific) protocol that users don't need to know details about.

in recent years these type of networks have been largely replaced by Etherent variants. Again it is the industrial versions of Ethernet such as EtherCat, ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, ModbusTCP etc...

product you listed does not fit into that category. you need to learn what chip is driving it and how to talk to it. moreover it is an open frame, something that could be used as a starting point to develop an industrial HMI, with proper tool chain, fieldbus interface, standards compliance, panel mounting with industry accepted environmental rating etc. but out of box this is not yet finished product.

this is why open frame modules are $50 and industrial HMIs are $5000.

here is an example of industrial HMI, front and back

PanelView Plus 6 Graphic Terminals | Allen-Bradley

PVP-6-Logic-Board.png?ssl=1

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks for your patient reply, I read that their latest HMI can support Modbus protocol, maybe it can be used? If I use the Modbus protocol then which robot would be better for me to choose?