Fanuc 2D vision 100+ Part Types

• I have a potential application involving conveyor picking of sheet metal parts, The initial project would require only 10 possible parts to be ran but would eventually scale up to 100+ parts. What I would like to know is if it is possible to not have 100+ vision programs and motion programs. Does anyone know of a way to streamline the process and not have it extremely heavy on the programming side? My concern is that the the vision program and motion programs could become unmanageable.

• Which situation do you have?

A) the user selects the current part and the system only looks for that part on the conveyor

B) any of the 10 parts can be on the conveyor and the system must look for all part types

• Which situation do you have?

A) the user selects the current part and the system only looks for that part on the conveyor

B) any of the 10 parts can be on the conveyor and the system must look for all part types

This is yet to be determined but i'm hoping to be able to run any part type, so it must look for any of them

• I don't know what the best practice is for that setup. iRPickTool may have some features to help with this. In iRVision you have the Model ID functionality. You can use multiple GPM tools with different Model IDs. Or you can use Model ID to identify the type of part that was found. For example if 2 sheet metal parts have the same outside shape but one has a hole in the middle. Then you can use the same GPM tool to find either part and use a Conditional Evaluation tool to look for the hole and add a value to the Model ID if the hole is found. You can then set multiple reference positions within a 2D Vision Process based on the Model ID. So the pick offset returned will be set by the Model ID.

• Are you going to be using Irpicktool ?

3 years I had to develop a program to deal with 90+ parts

jmd2777 post makes a lot of sense on the vision side

You still going to have to deal with PR57 and PR63 (pick and place) I can tell you what I did IF you are using irpicktool

Retired but still helping

• It deepends of your aplication.

Will the sheets be random sized?

What do you do with those parts?

-Do you process those sheets with robot or just pick and place?

Are there any calculations needed? To make a cut, drill or something?

I have done a robot that roughly measures random sized sheet of plywood, then picks it, then it goes to accurate measurement system built with two optical sensors and PLC (for simulation unless you have virtually connected plc you can skip this), then it does some calculations (which should be on PLC side), then makes proper drills and cuts by directing a part into a actuator. Changeable applications like drilling from side, drilling from front, cutting and so on can be selected by current inputs or dimensions of part (or whatever you can imagine).

My purpose was to make program very flexible to eliminate using CNC, making programs for it, hiring an operator who would have to put part, pick a program and let it go. Imagine writing a cnc program everyday just because todays parts are 1cm shorter than the day before and saw won't cut long enough. It just prepares raw sheet straight into ready to assemble.

Maybe I could help you a bit

Edited once, last by mosbe ().

Advertising from our partners