Kawasaki D+ controller Firmware

• Welcome to the forum............:beerchug:

D and D+ Controller firmware (including earlier Controllers) has ceased being developed now (from my last source I'm told) and unless you are experiencing specific issues encountered by the currently installed firmware, then Kawasaki do not just hand out new firmware without valid reasoning.

There are also different Controllers within D+ Series supplied globally usually classed as:

- North America Spec

- European Spec

- Asia Spec

These all have differing firmware, so just by 'requesting firmware' is not specific enough.

AS and SV firmware's are required to be compatible and usually both are required, if there is a valid reason for upgrading.

Today every one expects new firmware releases to be made freely available, but as many robots have differing applications and uses, more often than not, you should only really change firmware when a specific issue occurs because of the firmware currently in use and not just upgrade for the sakes of having the latest release.

Have you spoken to your local distributor, they will be better to advise on whether you require a firmware update or not?

• Thank you so much for the quick reply and clarifying how Kawasaki handle the firmware!

I have a Kawasaki FS03N with European Spec.

The reason for asking for the latest firmware was because of a CPU error. When I load a program with many lines of code (8000-9000 lines) I sometime receive a CPU error and the controller gets stuck. The only way to overcome the problem is to initialize the system using the DIP switch. I had the impression that a firmware upgrade would maybe solve such kind-of issues.

• Yes, I can appreciate the direction you're coming from with that for sure.

However, I would try and investigate a little further with the CPU error,

Default Controllers had 1Mb of memory and could be expanded to 4Mb and no more, so you could be experiencing memory issues during the load, possible bad memory on the board (memory does have a finite life due to read/write operations), code issues etc.

1. Is it just occurring during the load.

2. Does it happen at the same point during the load.

3. Is the syntax and formatting of the code correct that your loading in.

4. Have you tried reducing the file size your loading in or splitting it over other program calls.

5. Can you provide an example of what your loading in.

• It occurs only during loading. I have tried to split the program in order to reduce the file size and it works without any issues. For me it seems to be a memory limitation causing the issue.

I just checked the memory and the controller has 1MB.

Do you know how to upgrade the memory to 4MB?

• Ah, it's a D+ isn't it.

I think that was 2Mb as standard on the 1RA board, expandable up to 5Mb I think.

Additional memory board expands is called the 1KK board.

Type in the editor online:

FREE or goto Aux Func 0801, this will display your current memory installed and what is used.

It occurs only during loading.

- So where during the load.

- Does it hang up at the same point.

- Is the code syntax and format correct.

• Yes, it’s a D+.

The controller has 1048576 bytes (1Mb) and not 2Mb.

I just tried to upload a large program and the available memory is almost 0%.

It hang up as soon as I select the program and I am not able to use the controller. The only solution is to initialize the system.

The code and syntax is correct. It’s just a program with LMOVE shift commands. Reducing the program into ~5000 lines works.

B.T.W Do you know if it is possible to buy the 1KK boards?

Edited once, last by Nimal ().

• Ah, in that case yes, memory expansion is needed or ability to side load.

KRG (Kawasaki Germany) have been developing something KASLoad (with the newer controllers) for this, maybe worthwhile contacting them to see if there is any 'beta' versions available for D+ to try.

Also, have a look at this thread too.

Kawaguy (post #3) provided something that you may be able to work with.

Auto Load Files From External Storage - Kawasaki Robot Forum - Robotforum - Support and discussion community for industrial robots and cobots (robot-forum.com)

• Not sure about the 1KK boards as they no longer use them for any recent controller and I'm pretty sure D and D+ Controller parts are very close, if not already there, reaching obsolete status and no longer being supplied.

Local distributor or if you do have a contact at your regions Kawasaki office, would be best bet to try.

If I remember it was not a very common upgrade to make, so 2nd user would be hard to come by to.

Another thought are you using variable arrays in your code, as I think they have a limitation to 9999 element values and exceeding those may cause CPU lockups too during the load.

• If you can locate a 1KK board, I've found the part no. actually:- 50999 -2323.

You just take a full file save first, power off, remove board, attached 1KK, insert board power on reinitialize and select the extra memory option, then load your backup in again.

Advertising from our partners