S4C 3.2 Close and Open Commands Not Procedure Reference

• I'm trying to get my old s4c ABB to write out some serial data, but I am running into issues implementing the OPEN and CLOSE commands. Similar to Makara's thread here.

They show up under the IPL1 communication section, and my robot has the "Advanced Functions" option, but I can't insert either OPEN or CLOSE into the current program. When I try, the teach pendant just beeps at me, and nothing is inserted.

Also taking the program offline and just typing the commands in results in this thread's title when looking at the routine.

Any idea why I can't use/insert these functions? Is there an additional option I am missing?

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Yep, iodev var is declared.

Here is the whole code:

Here is the error:

I'm beginning to wonder if I have a corrupt install or something like that. This robot was just a pick and place in its past life, so none of the advanced functions were used.

• Do you have the time to try this test? Instead of opening the serial channel, see if you can open a file and write to it. After all, it is File and Serial channel handling. Another longshot is to change sio1 to com1. Did you press the check function key to see details? And the other reference error, is it to the CLOSE instruction?

• Well I guess I got a little egg on my face. I found the Rapid overview for 3.2 Baseware which clearly states Advanced functions is required. With that being said, do you also see the MoveJSync, MoveLSync instructions in the IPL? This would confirm the option should be installed.

• I do see the MoveJSync and MoveLSync commands in the IPL, and oddly enough, the robot will place them into the program with no issues.

Open fails altogether, regardless of what I am opening. Same with Close. Both instructions generate the reference error (40079).

• By saying that you mean that you did try to open a file instead of the serial port? Or you tried com1? This looks like it will be a tricky one.

Arguments used with OPEN aren't the issue. The controller acts like the OPEN command itself doesn't exist.

• I understood that. On the older robots in particular though, the error message can be misleading. That is why I would try different arguments like file or com1 to be really sure. Depending on the type of error one might make, the robot can sometimes even tell you the wrong line number of the error.

Advertising from our partners