Communicating IRC5 with PLC Siemens

• Hello,

I have a IRC5 Compact with a IRB120.

I would like to communicate both, but IRC5 has Ethernet/IP board, not Profinet.

It's supposed that if it's added Profinet option to RW, I could use IRB120 as slave.

I am thinking about to do it or not, because it supposes a cost.

If I would add Profinet option, is there any manual to communicate Siemens PLC and IRC5?

Which port would I have to use? Ethernet/IP port or another? I've read that LAN3 would be OK.

Would I have to add and use GSD file as well in TIA Portal? Which one?

Thanks in advance

Greets

• Togomi

Changed the title of the thread from “Connecting IRC5 with PLC Siemens” to “Communicating IRC5 with PLC Siemens”.
  • if you buy the profinet slave option it's just a software option and you choose which port to configure it on, normally I use lan 3.

otherwise the profinet master / slave is supplied with a card to be installed on the main computer. the GSDML file can be found in the robot disk

• if you buy the profinet slave option it's just a software option and you choose which port to configure it on, normally I use lan 3.

otherwise the profinet master / slave is supplied with a card to be installed on the main computer. the GSDML file can be found in the robot disk

Thanks a lot.

I am not sure about what you mean with the card to be installed on the main computer.

Is there another profinet option to work as master/slave without Profinet board?

And does that option need a card to be installed on the main computer?

• That's clear, but is there another option to work as master/slave without profinet board?

You talked about a card on PC like other option to work as master/slave.

• Ok.

I didn't know there is that posibility.

Thank you.

Another doubt.

Is it possible to load a back up from a IRB120 to another IRB120?

I've heard that it's not possible because RW is liked to the exact serial of a robot.

That doubt is due to the possibility of doing a back up in a IRB120 with Profinet option and retart it in my IRB120 to have profinet option.

• Backups don't include the operating system or options. They only store the user configuration and programs.

On the other side that would be a license violation, but it's not possible that way.

• Options are not included?

Then, why are options in a station when it is created from a back up?

And why is a back up required to add communication options to a robot?

Thanks for your response

• In the backup there is noticed which options are installed. When you create a virtual system in Roboguide the option will be installed on the virtual station. But for a real robot you need the key for creating the system with the options.

No backup is required for adding options to the robot, but after installing a option all programs and configurations are deleted, so with a backup you can restore the old setup, and then work on the new options.

• normally they are satisfied with the serial number, however I do not see anything strange. they will want to be sure of the installed options being an outdated robot

• That's clear, but is there another option to work as master/slave without profinet board?

You talked about a card on PC like other option to work as master/slave.

You can use LAN2, LAN3 or WAN port for Profinet Communication. LAN2 and LAN3 is isolated network for private LAN. WAN is open public LAN and can be mixed with Profinet LAN. You don't need Profinet card for DSQC1000 and RW6. Profinet option can work Master and slave together on same port. Just need of industrial switch.

• You can use LAN2, LAN3 or WAN port for Profinet Communication. LAN2 and LAN3 is isolated network for private LAN. WAN is open public LAN and can be mixed with Profinet LAN. You don't need Profinet card for DSQC1000 and RW6. Profinet option can work Master and slave together on same port. Just need of industrial switch.

Thanks for the information.

But the offer they've sent to me is about Profinet IO "slave" option 888-3, and master option requieres profinet card, at least, that was they told me.

Are you sure it is possible to work master and slave wihout profinet board with and industrial switch?

Thanks in advance

• Thanks for the information.

But the offer they've sent to me is about Profinet IO "slave" option 888-3, and master option requieres profinet card, at least, that was they told me.

Are you sure it is possible to work master and slave wihout profinet board with and industrial switch?

Thanks in advance

Just look at the manual is show only industrial switch with DSQC1000 and RW6. Please look at attached picture. I see a lot robot communicating with Controller / Device operation running together on same port. Just like KUKA KLI port. Of course I don't know much as ABB, you should be follow their directive.

For example I post one robot system options list:

<Category descr="OS">RobotWare OS and English</Category>

<Category descr="Languages">644-1 French</Category>

<Category descr="Options">709-x DeviceNet</Category>

<Category descr="Options">888-2 PROFINET m/s</Category>

<Category descr="Options">608-1 World Zones</Category>

<Category descr="Options">611-1 Path Recovery</Category>

<Category descr="Options">885-1 SoftMove</Category>

<Category descr="Options">613-1 Collision Detection</Category>

<Category descr="Options">614-1 FTP and NFS client</Category>

<Category descr="Options">616-1 PC Interface</Category>

<Category descr="Options">617-1 FlexPendant Interface</Category>

<Category descr="Options">623-1 Multitasking</Category>

<Category descr="Languages">645-16 Turkish</Category>

<Category descr="Suboptions">709-1 DeviceNet m/s</Category>

<Option descr="RW Control module key"/>

<Option descr="RobotWare OS and English"/>

-<Option descr="644-1 French">

<SubOption descr="645-16 Turkish"/>

</Option>

-<Option descr="709-x DeviceNet">

<SubOption descr="709-1 DeviceNet m/s"/>

</Option>

<Option descr="888-2 PROFINET m/s"/>

<Option descr="608-1 World Zones"/>

<Option descr="611-1 Path Recovery"/>

<Option descr="885-1 SoftMove"/>

<Option descr="613-1 Collision Detection"/>

<Option descr="614-1 FTP and NFS client"/>

<Option descr="616-1 PC Interface"/>

<Option descr="617-1 FlexPendant Interface"/>

<Option descr="623-1 Multitasking"/>

</ControlModule>

This robot does not have CP1616 or other profinet card. Robot profinet controller communication with Festo CPX valve as Master. Robot is slave as S7 PLC.

• Thank you a lot.

It's to be used on a private network, a department network in a educational institution.

Maybe my problem is that I don't have an industrial switch. Could it be?

Advertising from our partners