How to send Joint Data to PLC from ABB IRC5?

• Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had tried sending Joint Axis Positions from ABB IRC5 controller to a PLC?

I currently use the below and it seems to work on the simulator but does not appear to be real-time. It has a lag to update the Joints but has anyone tried similar methods or code changes to the below to make it work more real-time?

Any help or example code appreciated.

Regards

• I am assuming that this is running in a background task. If the robot is running at high speed, it will never be quite real time. You have a wait time, which is necessary to avoid CPU overload, therefore, you have an inherent lag due to the nature of the program. You could probably reduce it to 0.01 seconds.

• I am assuming that this is running in a background task. If the robot is running at high speed, it will never be quite real time. You have a wait time, which is necessary to avoid CPU overload, therefore, you have an inherent lag due to the nature of the program. You could probably reduce it to 0.01 seconds.

Hi Lemster,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it is a background task. And just to ease the buffer and I had them in several tasks running in parallel in background.

Any idea how long it takes to stop if it deviates from the path? Say j1 has to be between 85-89 degrees so can the plc issue a stop by reading the task in the above manner without too much lag?

Any suggestions appreciated.

• Stopping time depends on the robot velocity and the type of stop issued. A program stop is the slowest, it will be a controlled stop on the path. The other extreme is an estop in which the brakes are applied right away and it will deviate from the path.

Advertising from our partners