Fanuc paint overspray

• In a heavy steel industry 2 fanuc robots work side by side spraying black soft coat onto heavy truck axles. The overspray is a constant problem inside the booth. They try and pay employees quadruple time and they still won’t come in on off days to scrape the excess paint off of paint booth walls and floor, so that should tell you how bad the job sucks. They hire a Third party to do parts of it but a lot the labor still falls onto employees(me being one). Has anyone heard of a robot program doing this ? I am about to finish college and I had a class on Fanuc robots, so to me the theory seems easy... Fabricate an end of arm tool and program the robots to scrape the paint, and someone shovels the paint. Has anyone seen this? I went to school for Automation and Robotics. I really don’t want to scrape paint for a living.

• It may be possible but sounds like a difficult job for a robot. Robots don't have the dexterity that a human hand does.

1. You would need a compliant end-effector so the robot doesn't constantly detect collisions, but not too compliant that it doesn't have enough force to scrape the paint off.

2. The Robot would need to have enough reach and access to booth without getting in the way of the painting process.

3. The robot wouldn't be able to tell if it was successful or not. Sometimes you probably scrape the same area until the paint has broke loose, but a robot won't know that. It will just do the programmed routine.

Good luck!

• the scraping would be happening when robots are not painting. So colliding with other robots would probably not be a problem. I think the best way to do it would be Having one robot scraping at a time. This is almost a tar like substance, so it actually comes off but it just takes muscle. That’s why I think a robot would have an easy time swiping it off. It not like regular paint that chips, it comes off in globs. So a back and forth action would not be necessary. I think once the robot got a good bite a simple a A to B movement would be all it takes to get a section done. Then I think if an offset until robot hits limit. Then next robot works.

• You can use Peelable booth coating to avoid overspray on floor and booth wall. It's cheaper and easy to use. Also, once you feel the overspray, remove coating and apply new coating on booth.

Advertising from our partners