Linear 2-axis XY system configuration in Catalog Editor

• Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to add a linear 2-axis system as an external kinematic in the WorkVisual Project?

We have KR C4 with KSS 8.6.6, one robot, and three KUKA drives.

Two drives as master/slave for the X-axis, and one drive for Y-axis.

I want to use X-Y as a linked kinematic with a transformation enabled.

As far as I know, the proper way to configure this 2-axis system is to use Catalog Editor (this software is located within WorkVisual software).

But I couldn't find any documentation or "howto's" about it.

Please, could someone share the experience about creating their own kinematic schemes or using Catalog Editor?

I know that KUKA helps to create kinematic schemes for a good price, but I believe that this task should be solved on the side of the integrator.

You can try to change the existing reality, but it seems that you will fail with the thought that KUKA must provide documentation for this software and allow you to modify all necessary parameters for free.

Thank you in advance!

• i did not do it in a while but it should go something like this:

1. run WorkVisual CatalogEditor

2. under File>Catalogs make sure to have correct catalogs added (must have KukaDrives wich is list of motors)

3. display needed windows including templates.

4. create new catalog such as custom.afc or whatever

5. from templates drag template "External Kinematics 2 Axes" to your catalog

6. click on the just added Kinematics and press F2 to rename it to something user friendly (XY-Table or whatever but without "or whatever").

7. rightclick on just added kinematics to assign compatibility (KSS version etc). note that three axes are just place holders, there are no motors in there yet. this is why we needed catalog(s) assigned in step #2

8. pick correct motors and drag them to each axis. Axis1 will have two motors (X-axis) and Axis2 will have only one (Y-axis of your table).

9. now comes the fun part... parametrizing it all...

in this case you will want to set axis type to linear, choose correct mastering speed, mastering direction etc.

you will notice in MADA key next to each property. clicking on it allows you to specify if, when and where that parameter can be changed. you want to expose only the right parameters and lock anything that user should not need to touch.

for example you probably do not want to allow someone to change gear ratios etc. as such manipulation could lead to a disaster, at least on X axis.

further down the list will Master/Slave parameters. Basically you will have two motors act as single axis (E1). so motor higher in the hierarchy will be the master and the other will be slave. important thing here is to decide how rigid or flexible system is. if you have both motors connected closely, coupling will be very rigid. for example if they are both connected to same short and thick shaft, one motor on each end (and one of them turning in opposite direction) is an example of stiff coupling. but if you replace that short and thick shaft with long and thin one, you will get more flexible coupling as the shaft will be more elastic and forgiving. just ask yourself if one motor is holding position and other is trying to turn, how much you can get away with before something goes wrong.... (max lag that is tolerable).

in a linear system, if you have two rails very close to each other, they will be coupled through Y-axis rail rather strongly - even slight difference in positions of the two motors could cause a jam.

but if those two rails that form X-axis are sufficiently far from each other, this coupling would be much more forgiving, meaning you can probably move one motor 20-30 mm relative to other....

the bottom line is: stiff coupling = use torque follower. not stiff = use position follower.

it will take few tries to get it right (hopefully). just make sure nobody gets hurt and nothing gets damaged. test things at slow speeds, use Trace tool to optimize dynamics. that includes not just normal motions but also braking etc. KUKA College has courses on many subjects including this one so feel free to check the schedule.

so save the solution and use it in your WoV project. good luck...

frankly i think KUKA pricing is very reasonable for something like this. it is a lot of numbers that need to be entered correctly (transforms, inertia, and many more). and using Kuka assistance in case like this removes a lot of responsibility from you. but, it is your call...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• First of all, thank you Panic Mode for the provided answers, it was a good starting point!

Really appreciate it!

It's been a while since my last post here.

As I mentioned before, we have an X-Y system as a portal scheme.

With Y-axis, the carriage itself, we know that everything is quite okay.

Right now we have an issue with the X-axis configuration (with two KUKA drives on a huge bulk/jig/beam).

We try to configure two master-slave devices with positioning following (distance between two drives approx. 7m) and take traces, changing posGain / IntVelGain / PosGain according to recommendations from the KUKA Manual (KSS 8.5) for External kinematics but still have some odds.

For example, when we have a standard trajectory in T2 mode and 100% (500mm/s) when we travel about 1m, after that 500mm, 200mm and 200mm and check trace with propper settings, everything looks good enough. But if we reduce T2 to 50% for example, or use T1 mode and jog X-axis, there is a "BUZZ" sound from the drive and a bad trace.

The bottom line is: When we finally found propper values for VelGain / IntVelGain / PosGain, we handle issues on low speeds.

Drive configuration was set from documentation, settings like inertia, speeds, etc, and we are sure that everything is okay (at least carriage moves perfectly). We use the same drives and the same gearboxes for the Y and X axis.

Can anyone share the experience of adjusting big bulks/jigs/beams?

• Hello,

We have a similar kind of a problem, that is, where to find WorkVisual Catalog Editor and said templates.

We are working with:

WorkVisual Developement Environment V6.0.20_Build1008

Is this Catalog Editor even in the same software?

I could not find an answer in online search or manuals that we have:

KSS_86_SI en

KRC4 Konfig Kinematics

KRC4 ProgrammingMan_v4.1

I have contacted our official Kuka sales about this and we're waiting for their reply.

Just posting the question here as well, in case someone else has the same issue.

-Tuomas

• if you want to use computer, don't be afraid to see where and how computer files are stored. being nosy is part of the using computer.... so when you install some software, it is ok to browse folder where the software was installed and check the files.

catalog editor is an executable that is installed as part of WorkVisual. it is placed in the same folder as WorkVisual. for some reason KUKA developers just did not think to create shortcut to it. There are some other executables too, Device Description folder etc.

one way to get there is by right clicking on WorkVisual shortcut, selecting properties and Open File Location....

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners