Position Registers

• Just want to check my understanding of position registers (PR). So I am thinking of PRs as a sort of global position variable that is not specific to any single TP program. So I can use a PR in one or more TP programs, unlike a standard position that is local to the TP program it was created in.

Hope that is correct so far.

The part I am less sure of is in regard to how a PR is used within a custom user frame (UF). So let's say that I just created UF(3) and I then set the active frame to UF(3) and then I create a few new PRs. Will the PRs be tied to the UF(3) or are PRs always tied to the default world coordinate system? Typically when you teach a basic point you need to pay attention to the active user frame, is this also true for PRs?

Thanks very much

• Your first point is correct. PRs are global and points are local.

PRs will adapt to whatever the current UF and UT is. It is Very important to always explicitly set the UF and UT in your program so you don't send the robot to an unintended position.

• So to be clear. If I move my user frame (UF3), will the PRs taught in that UF3 move with the frame, or do they stay relative to the world frame?

• They would move with the frame.

I think of PRs as a relative position with respect to the current UF origin. For example, if you needed to pick parts from 2 identical tables with identical part positions on each table. Then say you taught UF1 on table 1 and UF2 on table 2. If you set UF1 as active and then taught the pick positions in PRs, you could then make UF2 active and use the same PRs to pick.

Advertising from our partners