Kawasaki D42 has power to CPU but no lights or boot up - following troubleshooting guide but now stuck

• We are installing D42 and ZX200S

Unable to fully startup controller, no lights on panel or any LEDs showing.

So far have checked / set the following:

1. Set the transformer to X501B as the input is 500V
    2. 200V is available on plug to AVR
    3. Fuses appear OK on 1KP
    4. No lights or sign of life beyond AVR plug - unsure what to check next

Any suggestions for next step greatly appreciated.

cheers

Peter

• Welcome to the forum.............:beerchug:

Should be using a D3x spec instead of a D4x spec controller IMHO as they operate at higher incoming supplies, so I don't know if this is a factor with your dead controller.

First thing is make sure ALL internal MCB/Trips/Fuses are good.

Check 1KP board X9 configuration is set correctly for power up requirements:

- Local power up X9 pins 1 and 2 empty, 3 and 4 linked (default setting).

- Remote power up X9 pins 1 (24v input), 2 (0v input), pins 3 and 4 empty.

The next thing would be to check aux voltages are being supplied to control logic 1KA/1RA and 1KP by using DVM to measure AVR aux supplies:

Without the above operational and known working components, the controller will not show life.

If this resolves it, you may also need to address correctly the other 1KP connections X7 and X8 for External Estop and Safety Fence and External Trigger connections.

Below is the default configuration usually supplied directly from Kawasaki so that OOBE can be used straight away:

Let us know how you get on.

• thanks very much kwakisaki I will step through your suggestions on Friday

we have 3 ZX / 42 that were spot welding robots at a local Mitsubishi plant and re-purposing them for garnet blasting and also aluminium coating applications. so we have one for spares hopefully as needed.

• If they are operating off the same incoming voltage as the Mitisubishi plant, then I expect the incoming supply to not be a problem.

D4x are Eurpoean Spec and D3x are North American Spec (operates off a higher voltage) so discounting that as the problem, it may well be in a decommissioned condition.

From an automotive plant, it is very possible they had X9 configured for 'remote power on' which would have had the power on/off signal for the controllers controlled from a PLC.

So 1KP connector X9 would be my initial check point.

Check and confirm pins 1 and 2 are empty and pins 3 and 4 are linked.

If the above is set, then the AVR should power up (pins 3 and 4 on 1KP are the enable AVR circuit).

The controller should boot up and all the respective led indicators and voltages should be available to see/measure.

If at that point no leds/voltages are available and the controller is not booting up, then it would either be:

- Faulty RY1 or/and RY2 relay on 1KP.

- Faulty AVR.

- Short circuit somewhere causing AVR to shut down.

• thanks again kwakisaki I really like your 'remote power' suggestion makes a lot of sense I and will check it this week when I am back at the plant, and let you know how I go.
    I really appreciate your advice, it is great to know there is network of experienced and smart people working in this field and willing to share knowledge!

I can see no jumpers on 1KP X7,8,9 from the pic I took

cheers
    Peter

• Without X7 and X8, the safety circuit will remain open circuit preventing robot motion.

The table I posted above is the default configuration as usually shipped from Kawasaki.

Assuming all is connected and no hardware faults exist, you should be able to move the robot when this is done.

• Hi
    Controller and Arm are now working thank you.

I will no doubt have some more queries as we progress with the installation and specific programming.

The robots will be used in a parts sand blasting and aluminium coating application.

cheers

Advertising from our partners