KUKA ROBOTS : Connecting to the real robot.

• Hello to all,

After simulation of my program with KUKASimPro, I export and import my files (.dat and .src) on real robot with a USB key for execution and it works well.

However I would like to be able to load and run my programs on the real robot from my pc.

Is this possible? (I imagine it is, because I know how to do it with ABB) but what is the procedure on a KUKA robot (KR60JT C4 WLL ZH02).

Thank you in advance.

• For KSS 8.x and above, you push programs to the robot using WorkVisual.

You can import files into the file tree in the Configuration and Commissioning workspace, then Deploy the project. Or, using the Programming and Diagnosis workspace, you can make edits "live" and push them to the robot (that last I think only works for KSS 8.5 and higher, I don't think it works for KSS 8.3).

• WorkVisual comes with every KRC4, or can be downloaded from KUKA.com's download section. For KSS 8.5, you'll want WV 5 at minimum, and WV 6 would be best.

WV is the standard KUKA software for configuring KRC4s -- it's required in order to set up external axes, I/O, and certain system options. It is not required in order to load programs, but KUKA has added KRL-editing to WV for the convenience of the user.

• Okay.

So if I understand correctly, directly from KUKASimPro is not possible.

I have to make sure that WV communicates with the real robot controller, then charge my files in WV and send them to the robot.

you confirm ?

• I don't use SimPro, so I can't say for sure. But as far as I am aware, moving any program between SimPro and a real robot requires some sort of copy/paste. Either using USB, network share, or WorkVisual. WV is the "official" way of doing this.

• You can map the drive in your pc, find out the ip of your control and map it to \\1.1.1.1\d (use your ip)

You can then copy files directly to the D drive, after that you can use the Krc to copy the files into the run folder

• or you can use C3Bridge to deliver programs directly to the RAM drive (KRC:\R1\Programs...). no need to touch teach pendant... sample client app that does just that is C3Easy. beware that this client also allows starting program remotely. while this is an interesting and powerful feature, obviously there is no SPOC. so it would be better to make own client without that specific function or limit use to a headless systems.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• or you can use C3Bridge to deliver programs directly to the RAM drive (KRC:\R1\Programs...). no need to touch teach pendant... sample client app that does just that is C3Easy. beware that this client also allows starting program remotely. while this is an interesting and powerful feature, obviously there is no SPOC. so it would be better to make own client without function or limit use to headless systems.

Absolutely correct, that's why I suggested using a mapped drive over kukavar or c3, It sounds like they just want an easier file transfer than USB. And using the proxy without a SPOC and potentially not understanding the safety implications something that needs careful consideration.

• You can then copy files directly to the D drive, after that you can use the Krc to copy the files into the run folder

In my opinion, this operation is too time-consuming. I would like to load the program remotely in a couple of clicks. Also, the smartHMI interface itself is quite slow. Especially when working via RDP on the smartPAD. Overcoming this problem led to the creation of C3 Easy Control.

beware that this client also allows starting program remotely. while this is an interesting and powerful feature, obviously there is no SPOC.

I only load programs in T1 mode, in my opinion, it is safe enough. In this case, C3 Easy can select and try to start the program, but it will not start executing.

• I've never encountered C3 -- how does it compare to KUKA's DirLoader option? Would it serve as an alternative to the DirLoader?

There are some end users who need to automatically update or replace programs (usually very large OLPs) in their KRCs, in auto, during production. DirLoader works for them, but it's pretty finicky and has some sharp limitations. I'm wondering if C3 might make a workable alternative, especially whether it's robust enough to use in production.

• C3Bridge is a newer and more powerful alternative to KukaVarProxy. It has all the functions of KukaVarProxy but also adds some new ones. One of them allows to deliver programs directly to RAM drive. This feature is also implemented in C3Easy client which is meant to do exactly what you mention and it is easy to test:

1, place C3Bridge on KRC (or OL)

2. start C3Bridge

3. on your computer start C3Easy and connect to KRC

4. do whatever you like (send program to KRC, list program modules on KRC, select and start program...)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• C3 Bridge also says its compatible with robodk, but I'm yet to test that out, but some of the features such as copying to ram drive would eliminate some of the work arounds potentially such as having an empty program for kuka var to write into and call

• I only load programs in T1 mode, in my opinion, it is safe enough. In this case, C3 Easy can select and try to start the program, but it will not start executing.

yes but that is because T1 mode expects enabling switch so one still needs to go for smartPad...

but if AUT or EXT is selected and drives are on, clicking on RUN not just selects program, it actually runs program and robot moves. this is why i mentioned caution. with robots one cannot be careful enough...

it would be safer to either not have that button or just allow selection of program (not make it run).

another improvement would be to allow selecting multiple SRC files. large programs are often split into smaller ones and it would be tedious to select and transfer each part individually.

btw. great work. i am loving the capabilities of the C3Bridge. Thank you for making it open source.

Advertising from our partners