Same program logic using different bases

• Hello Kuka experts,

I am planning to implement an application where I need the same routines and logic being used on two, similar, but different bases.

My initial idea is to create a base variable and set it before calling the said routines.

I am assuming that I shouldn't have big problems with crashing or whatnot because the two bases are very similiar, it is only a matter of precision.

Did you guys understand my idea? If so, what should I keep an eye out for to avoid problems with flying robots to nirvana?

It will be a new robot so KRC 4 with KSS 8.6 or newer.

Thanks in advance!

• setup a camera and record it. if there is a crash, please share the video.

watch for status and turn... in general when using different bases with same set of points, one need to make sure S&T values are correct.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I am assuming that I shouldn't have big problems with crashing or whatnot because the two bases are very similiar, it is only a matter of precision.

Maybe. As Panic says, S&T can trip you up -- it depends on whether your two Bases drive any of the robot axes into different quadrants. Sticking to LIN motions instead of PTPs, at least in areas where switching between Bases could cause S&T issues, can help, but it can also "wind up" the wrist in ways that make the next PTP behave unexpectedly. So using a joint-defined point (like Home) to force all axes into an expected pose before/after the "offset" moves is a good idea.

Using Frames instead of POS or E6POS for the moves in the different bases will let the robot use the "best fit" S&T based on where it starts from, which can also help.

• Thanks for the fast feedback.

Understood, I will definitely keep an eye out for S & T.

The idea is that the Base will be set before the complete movement starts and will only be changed after the movement routine is finished (Home Position).

In theory I would expect that when I have taught the robot the two bases and run my movement routine in T1 without problems it should work given that neither the program or the bases are changed.

If either the bases or the program is changed I would have to check everything again, obviously.

Advertising from our partners