2D array data in Karel

• Hi guys,

currently, I am looking for a proper way to define and use 2D array in KAREL program.

the general concept is that,

array[i,j]:

11 5

7 13 14,

and 13 will be read and use when i=3 and j=2,

is there anyone happen to know how to program this?

best regards,

Chen

• To declare the array:

two_d_array: ARRAY[3,3] OF INTEGER--2D Array

To access elements in the array:

two_d_array[3,2]=13

hi jmd2777,

thank you for your reply.

once the 2D array is created by Karel, is it possible to read the values with for-loops in TP program?

for instance, using two registers represent i and j in for-loops in TP program, and in each loop a specific value corresponding to the index can be read from the array.

regards,

Chen

• Chen,

I don't know how to access a Karel variable in a TP program. One alternative is to have the Karel program read the registers storing i and j. Then the Karel program could copy the value from the 2D array into a register.

So in your TP program you would set i and j register value. Then call the Karel program, or if the Karel program is always running you could turn on a FLAG that indicates you want to get a new value and the Karel program would see the FLAG and retrieve the value from the 2D array and store it in a register.

• Chen,

I don't know how to access a Karel variable in a TP program. One alternative is to have the Karel program read the registers storing i and j. Then the Karel program could copy the value from the 2D array into a register.

So in your TP program you would set i and j register value. Then call the Karel program, or if the Karel program is always running you could turn on a FLAG that indicates you want to get a new value and the Karel program would see the FLAG and retrieve the value from the 2D array and store it in a register.

JM,

i agree with your strategy, but still have one concern that:

once the 2D array[i,j] is created in KAREL program, is it saved permanently ? or it is only existing when karel program is running?

• Use the translator directive %CMOSVARS

If %CMOSVARS is specified in the program, then all static variables by default will be created in permanent memory.

If %CMOSVARS is not specified, then all static variables by default will be created in temporary memory.

• Chen,

The variable is permanent. You may have noticed that after deleting a KAREL program named kar_prog from the robot, there is still a file named kar_prog.vr. That .vr file stores the KAREL variables. If you delete the .vr file, then the KAREL variable values will be lost.

2 things that may help:

1. The KAREL command GET_VAR can access variables from other KAREL programs. For example, you could have 2 KAREL programs: A) create_2d_array and B) get_2d_array_value. You could call get_2d_array_value from your TP program. It would use GET_VAR to access the 2D array in create_2d and then copy the value to a register.

2. There is a convenient way to check the value of your KAREL variables from the Teach Pendant. Go to Select screen, select a KAREL program and press Enter key. Press Data button->Type->KAREL Vars. You will be able to see the KAREL variables for the currently selected program.

• thank you for your help, that is really helpful.

If %CMOSVARS is specified in the program, then all static variables by default will be created in permanent memory.

If %CMOSVARS is not specified, then all static variables by default will be created in temporary memory.

hi pdl,

thanks for your reply,

for creating a .DT file in Karel, i make file path as MC: xxx.dt, it works well in roboguide, but have not tried in real controller, do you have any experience or suggestion about choosing the memory device?

regards,

Chen

• What is the data you're collecting and what is it used for? How often will this data change?

pdl,

i am trying to collect calculation result in KAREL program, so that the file can be export with USB. and the calculation is one time job only, not a realtime job which need to write and read hundred of thousands times.

regards,

Chen

i used %CMOSVARS in program, but once i restart roboguide, the calculated variables are removed. the data karel variables are reset. do you know what is the reason for that?

Advertising from our partners