Cubic S Area Monitoring Functionality

• Hey Guys,

I am having a hell of a time understanding the area monitoring function on Cubic S. I just want a safety output to turn on when the robot is in the zone.

Would I just have monitoring zone that allows movement, a safety input always off (area monitored), and a safety output that turns on when the robot is in the zone? I want to be sure before I commit electrician time to something that might not work.

I was able to get the constant area monitoring to work with tool monitoring points.

Some information:

E32G Controller

BX200L Arm

Cubic S Version 1

Thanks in advance!

• As Cubic S is a safety device, it is recommended to attend a training course to ensure full understanding of setup, functionality and operational characteristics.

What I will tell you is, you will learn more by viewing the rung status's of:

- Monitoring State.

- Motion Area Monitoring.

- Any allocated User Safety Output will be allocated to the 'monitoring result' contact.

A simple test of functionality is below........This is just a demonstration.

1. Set selected monitored area (x) as prohibited (example below).

2. Then set motion area common settings (below I am also monitoring for points on arm/segments).

3. After updating Cubic S Parameters, open up the monitoring state and motion area monitoring.

- Move the robot so that any of your monitored points can move in and out of the area.

- You will see the 'result' toggle on and off as you do.

4. Simply set the User Safety Output (x) for selected area (x) and update Cubic S Parameters.

5. Now jog the robot in and out of the area and the User Safety Output will toggle the 'result' state.

The example is set as a 'Selective Prohibited Area', BUT has not been allocated a User Safety Input.

Therefore, it is not actually preventing motion into the area, only monitoring for it.

You can see (by way of the 'result' or User Safety Output) if it is in the area or not.

6. The final test is to allocate a User Safety Input to the Selected Area to control the Selected Function.

- This would then be a Selected Prohibited Area based on the User Safety Input.

- When the User Safety Input is ON, the contact in the rung is disabled.

- The 'monitored result' would then directly break the rung and turn off 'Motivity Shutoff'

- This would then produce a Cubic S stop event based on the 'monitored result'.

- Thus turning it into a Selected Prohibited Area by way of a User Safety Input.

7. If the allocated User Safety Input was OFF, then the contact would be on.

- Thus turning the Selected Prohibited Area into an unmonitored area.

• This worked very well thank you.

I ran into another problem, I keep running into error 1118 on the move after a weld. I read the troubleshooting manual but it isnt very clear to me. I re-wrote the programs to be as smooth as possibe but I havent been able to fix it.

• Assuming your are referring to E1118 Command Value for JTxx Suddenly Changed.

This normally relates to what is called a singularity (alignment of the wrist axes).

A typical indicator when the robot is approaching a singularity is the robot will appear to slow down overall, but one of the axis suddenly starts increasing in velocity (commonly JT4 or JT6).

The most common way to resolve this is purely application dependent and I cannot say for sure whether it is an acceptable resolution or not but usual resolutions include:

- Use a JMOVE instead of an LMOVE to the position that causes the error.

- Use a JMOVE to a Precision Point/Displacement Value/Joint angle posture instead.

- Teach the position so that a singularity/close to singularity does not occur.

Further information to the error is below:

• Here is a sample of the code, I changed all moves around it to JMOVE, slowed them down and even added a point after the weld. I cannot seem to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.

• What is your JT7 external axis Controlling?

It appears to me to be a servo gun?

Do you have any other code that is working fine?

Has this been correctly setup and commissioned as a servo gun regarding parameters and calibration?

I am questioning the positional values reported for JT7 being negative value in error (command pose).

Is there any other information you can provide, such as a complete backup (without compromising any company IP) and any information regarding how JT7 was setup and commissioned?

• Yeah it was a servo gun, I was told that it commands it to go to -70 to reach the squeeze required to weld. The axis is -200 to 230, 230 being open. I am asking for 3kN squeeze, its a huge gun that weighs over 130kg and the TCP is z =1100.

All the other welds in this program work just fine. The robot welds, then when it is time to open the gun it errors out every time. I have retaught by pressing SHIFT + CL1 to close the gun on the before weld and weld points then just move J7 for the after weld.

Regarding the parameters it was set up by Kawasaki.

If you know where to find the parameters you are wondering about in word document I can find them.

• Well if Kawasaki installed the gun, commissioned and setup the parameters, they would probably have the servo gun datasheets for the parameters and therefore should assume that is all correct.

Diagnosing your problem remotely like this (especially as it occurs around one weld point) is not easy.

The deflection compensation (Aux 1027) mentioned in the earlier document is related to different postures of the gun when applying the weld (above, level, below percentages applied in the XYZ directions).

When force is applied during the weld, depending on the posture of the gun, depends in which direction deflection occurs and is therefore compensated.

The speed of JT7 before and after weld is controlled by the SPEED value, and the speed of JT7 for the weld is applied via the settings in Aux 1011.

Initially I would be tempted to:

- Reduce the SPEED value on the weld step.

- Change the posture (as much as could get away with) for the weld.

- Maybe change that to JOINT as opposed to LINEAR.

- Review Aux 1027 and possibly 'tweak' the percentages relating to your posture.

- Review Aux 1011 values and possibly 'tweak' these a little.

• Hey kwakisaki,

Slowing down the weld point and setting the point before and after to Joint seemed to work.

You are very big help as I have never received formal training on this type of thing. Just got to figure out the tip wear settings now.

Cheers

• Glad I could assist in some way and you've managed to resolve it.........:top:

The thing is the issue only occurs around one weld, so you run the risk if changing gun settings, introducing problems in areas which are currently working.

INTERP/SPEED and POSITION are the only real things you can freely change/test for.

Kawasaki has some complex functions built in for Servo Gun operations, that not everyone uses and when you don't use them, sometimes you can find issues which are not obvious.

• Hello to all forum members!

Dear kwakisaki could I ask you about your first message in this chat about the basics of programming selectable zones using the Cubic-S module, namely to the sixth and seventh points:

Below in the attached folder I have given a table from the manual on Cubis-S "90210-1272DEC_Cubic-S_Instruction Manual", where it is indicated that the control of the selected zone occurs when the signal at the input is OFF, so may I ask you to explain, because it seems to be I understood incorrect:

Application example.zip

I also have given in the attached folder two pictures from my application where the robot should instantly be stopped if a person crosses the light barrier, that is, the area indicated in red is turned off. That is, in this case, the OSSD signals from the light barier become OFF and the Cubic-S begins to monitor this zone and if the robot is there as in the attached picture it must be shut off. Please correct if I am wrong.

Also I would like to ask if someone has got an experience with connecting of the Cubic-S module to a fail-safe cpu? I am going to use in my application a Siemens S7 1500 F-CPU so that all safety signals such as E-STOP, safety door position and light barier will be requested at the fail-safe digital inputs of siemens f-cpu. Further I need to establish a connection between a fail-safe digital output of the f-cpu and the Cubic-S module. If someone already had experience with solving a similar problem, it would be great if you share your experience.

Thank you in advance for your information and have a nice weekend!

• As this is a safety device, I am not responsible for the implementation of this item and always will insist on you undertaking official training and any advice I offer is based on this training.

In your application example folder referencing 'Description Table', this has been taken from the Safety Inputs section (11-29, 11-33) and states in the explanation what occurs when it is OFF or ON.

Safety circuits should be fail safe and when working (confirmed by sending test pulses around the circuits to ensure integrity), then they are considered 'safe and working'.

Therefore, safety inputs operate off the same convention, if on, all working so allow things to happen.

So in most cases, the allocated input when turned off, activates the monitoring function allocated to it.

Exactly what you have described with your OSSD's.

This is why I have mentioned to use the rungs monitoring and you will easily see these in action.

• I have connected the safety part from the robot with a F-CPU but the robot was not using Cubic-S. Could you please tell what external inputs do you have from Cubic-S? For E-Stop circuit i was using the connection from X7 and for the door circuit the connection from X8.

• Hallo Alexandru!

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delayed answer.

So in my application I have to connect an E-Stop curcuit, two safety doors separately and three light curtains also separately to a F-DI module of F-CPU 1512SPF-1 PN. As I mentioned before I also will use two Kawasaki robots series BX300L and controller type E02 with an istalled Cubic-S module. So all the described safety signals after processing in the safety program of the named F-CPU must be output at a F-DQ and connected to safety inputs of the Cubic-S module. The reason why I am doing so because except robots I also have in my small plant some other machines that will receive information about safety signals over the PROFIsafe layer.

So I would like to establish the follwing connection between F-DQ and Cubic-S:

- E-Stop which will call the "Emergency Stop Function"

- Each safety door will call the "Protective stop function". Also I would like to mention that each door will act with an intelock, so it can be opened only after each machine in my small plant has stopped according performance level PLd (Cat.3).

- The first light curtain will activate a "selectable prohibited area" for the robot.

- The second light curtain will call the "Protective stop function".

- The third light curtain will call the "Speed monitoring function".

First of all I am interesting if it is possible to realize a direct connection between a F-DQ of Siemens and the Cubic-S without using any safety relays inbetwewen, for instance, like a two channel relays PNOZ s3 of PILZ. But as you said you have gotten it to connect F-DQ to dedicated safety inputs X7 and X8 of controller I hope it should also work for Cubic-S module.

At that point I would like to ask you some hardware questions, namely as I correct understood to establish a direct connection of a F-DQ of Siemens and the Cubic-S module do I need to use the PP-switching type? So no PM switching type, because the output modules of SP series can be ordered either of PP or PM switching, so not lile MP series where it can adjusted in TIA-Portal.

Also in the description of the connection of the safety inputs the following is indicated "Ground the 0V (GND) of the power that is used". As I understand it is called "Functional grounding", but I don't fully understand how it can be physically done. In the image below I gave an example how a connection between a light curtain and a safety input channel of Cubic-S can be done where I pointed the grounding of the 0V of the 24VDC power supply. But I also think that in the presented image below instead of the light curtain a F-DQ can be used with the same connection manner, but a question remains to correct supply of modules and grounding of the power supply (grounding of the M terminal of 24VDC supply):

Could you also tell me did you connect all E-Stop buttons in series and then connected them to a F-DI channel or you used different fail-safe inputs channel of a F-DI for different E-Stop buttons?

Secondly as I know all safety inputs of the Cubic-S module are dual which have a certain justification for complinace to performance level PLd, for instance, to evaluate the discrapancy time between two inputs in a channel. At the same time the fail-safe outputs of a F-DQ of Siemens are individual. That's why I am interesting how it must be programmed in the safety programm of Siemens for the outputs correctly so that the dual estimate of the Cubic-S inputs is preserved.

I would be very grateful if you would share your experience in solving this problem.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

• Hello,

Like i said i did not connect the safety part with the Cubic-S and maybe the procedures might be different. I can not guide you how to connect because i dont have any experience with the Cubic-S.

What i can tell you, is the procedure that i am using...

For the robot i am using 2 safety circuits with each F-DQ address. I am using safety relays from SICK (RLY3-OSSD400) for each safety circuit.

From the robot part there is only one F-DI connected to the robot, but if you have other emergency stop

it will have a different F-DI address.

For the door circuit i collect all the information from the devices that are connected in the area (doors, safety light curtains) and all devices have different F-DI adresses.

In one case i used SENDDP and RCVDP blocks in order to receive safety information from other machines.

• Hello Alexandru!

Thank you for your answer it was helpful.

Could I ask you, of course if it possible, to attach a small sketch of how you physically connected the outputs of F-DQ through the safety relay of SICK (RLY3-OSSD400) to dedicated safety controller inputs X7 and X8?

Thank you in advance for your information and that you share your experience.

Advertising from our partners