KRC 4 : deploy safety changes to controller (without knowing actual safety password).

• Our customer has a KRC4 robot KSS 8.5.6 with the option Safe Operation3.4.5.
    The machine builder that commissioned the robot does not exist anymore. The customer has no passwords, no received source code of the robot and of the plc that is Profinet controller of the Kuka.
    We now should want to change some settings in the safety zones. We don't know the 'safety maintenance' password, it is not the default.
    The administrator password is the default.

We succeeded in uploading the project from the controller, so we have now the Workvisual project of the controller.
    After implementing the changing we will do a complete safety acceptance as necessary, and take full responsibility of the installation.
    Is it possible to make changes in safety in Workvisual and then deploy to controller, although we don't know the actual 'safety maintenance' passwoord? Or should more things be done on the controller to overcome the fact that the 'safety maintenance' password is not known?

• What do you mean exactly by a clean install?
    If I restore the base project (that the robot was initially delivered with), can I do that without the (unknown) password will be asked?
    Or what should I understund from 'Clean Install'?

• I don't know if the wov project has any effect on passwords, so I'll have to leave that for someone else, but you could try install a project from scratch and see if you can login to saftey to answer that question

Failing that by clean install, I mean a complete system wipe using fresh disk images

• you can deploy project, no questions asked...

but to activate project with different safety configuration you must login with proper user account.

passwords are not contained in WoV project.

as always, before doing any change you should make a full backup using recovery stick

then try to change user passwords from windows level... to get there you could use other user level.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I suspected that might have been the case but didn't want to say for sure, to override passwords with WoV did seem like it would be an obvious security risk

In that case best to backup all tech packages, and the wov project file from the control, and install the drives from fresg, if he's lucky then the wims in the hidden partition will be from before the password was set, otherwise its a request for kuka

• kuka cannot solve this problem.

All these passwords are saved within windows and they are SAFE - once I was trying to recover them with a forenesic tool - and this failed after app. 20h of investigation.

There is a kuka tool to reset all of the passwords. You should ask kuka service to come to this site to make this change.

The only other option for you is to reinstall the KSS in order to get the default settings

if he's lucky then the wims in the hidden partition will be from before the password was set, otherwise its a request for kuka

the question is if the WIMS even exist in the hidden partition...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Panic mode, well you should hope they are, first thing I do with any new robot, once all the giddyness of ripping open boxes (and with kuka there is always lots of boxes), is plug in the controller and immediately take a backup and store it safe.

• that is a wise decision but controller may or may not have image already in the hidden partition.

you can create one (or overwrite one that may be there) while creating that first backup.

3) read 1 and 2

• True, also depends on the KUKA stick settings, some are set to backup to the hidden as well as the stick so over writing the original hidden backup, that's why I like to make a backup before doing anything else so I have a "virgin" copy to store safe before making absolutely any changes, to prevent backing up any potential issues later on

• first of all: this not a problem of panic mode. So why should he hope.

second: kuka provides their wims with default passwords (those has to be changes by the Integrator)

The quickies you can do is ask kuka service to do the reset of all passwords (maybe expensive) or do a reinstallation of the system (from hidden directory or usb) and then do your updates based on your wov

and make a doc for your customers (passwords included)

Advertising from our partners