What to expect when upgrading from 8.1. to 8.3

• I bought a 2dl vision and a Ircalibration package for an older robot. The camera from the 2dl system is not compatible with the ircalibration.

To avoid having to buy a new camera, I am considering upgrading the robots firmware from 8.1 to 8.3.

When I asked more experienced people about upgading the firmware they just crinch, without saying anything too specific about potential problems. I am aware that some setup stuff does not transfer and would need to be redone. However, one person mentioned that programs would not transfer? Is that true, it makes no sense to me. Shouldn't I at least be able to load the ls files?

Any other issues I could run into?

• I don't really think anyone actually knows the potential problems that could occur from a minor revision upgrade, because nobody really does it (including some Fanuc techs). I've transferred files (with the exception of sysvars and some other .sv files) between major revisions without issues. I've also upgraded a multiarm ArcTool cell from 8.0 to 8.3 because of issues with coordinated motion. I never had any issues, but nobody wants to take on that liability either. This is just my opinion.

HandlingTool manual explains that you can go between minor revisions 8.10 to 8.20 for example. I would take an image first (auto update does preform an image prior but I have heard that this has crashed on people before), then preform the auto update. Never heard of .TP's not transferring. They can be translated between any major revision or xxTool software as far as I am aware.

• I don't really think anyone actually knows the potential problems that could occur from a minor revision upgrade, because nobody really does it (including some Fanuc techs). I've transferred files (with the exception of sysvars and some other .sv files) between major revisions without issues. I've also upgraded a multiarm ArcTool cell from 8.0 to 8.3 because of issues with coordinated motion. I never had any issues, but nobody wants to take on that liability either. This is just my opinion.

HandlingTool manual explains that you can go between minor revisions 8.10 to 8.20 for example. I would take an image first (auto update does preform an image prior but I have heard that this has crashed on people before), then preform the auto update. Never heard of .TP's not transferring. They can be translated between any major revision or xxTool software as far as I am aware.

That sounds somewhat reassuring, thank you!

One thing I forgot to ask which you brought up: Worst case scenario, can restore an image backup and bring everything back to the way it was?

Advertising from our partners