Robot X12 I/O not working

• Hey everyone, This is my first time working with a Kuka Robot and having some issues with getting the digital I/O working. I have a Kr C2 sr controller and trying to use the IO cable X12. If I under stand the manual, this should work if I apply 24vdc to terminal 10 (Input $IN1) I should see the input turn on on the Monitor Digital Input screen. Of if i turn on Digital Output $OUT2 then I should see 24vdc on terminal #33. The issue is that i am not getting either of these to happen.

My application is simple, just want my PLC to send a "Start" input signal to my robot, then when the robot is in position send an output to the PLC. I have the code written so its looking for the inputs and turns on the outputs where necessary, just need to get the controller to see them. Please help!!!

• AD
  • Do you have the internal wiring diagram for that controller?

Going by your posted photo, it looks like the I/O may need 24VDC power supplied to it before it operates. That's how it is on the KRC4 Compacts, but I can't speak directly to a KRC2SR, having never worked inside one.

I would recommend opening the controller and seeing what the X12 connector is wired to internally. My guess is that it's wired to some I/O modules that need power, and that said power is supplied through the X12. But you'll want to be very careful here, as getting it wrong could fry something expensive.

• also need to make sure that signal polarity is same on both sides - PLC and KRC.

if one is using "NPN" and other "PNP" this will not work without some workaround like interposing relays or equivalent...

and regardless of that you still want to make sure to check if things are galvanically isolated or not

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Unfortunately no I do not have a internal wiring diagram, if someone can fine one please send it over. The manual says you can put jumpers in to use the internal power terminals. I have tried to do this with no luck either. I am hesitant to open this controller up because its old enough that Kuka doesn't support it any more.....

• also need to make sure that signal polarity is same on both sides - PLC and KRC.

if one is using "NPN" and other "PNP" this will not work without some workaround like interposing relays or equivalent...

and regardless of that you still want to make sure to check if things are galvanically isolated or not

How can I find out if the KRC is NPN or PNP?