Which milling robot set-up?

• Greetings!

I'm new here and have very minimal knowledge when it comes to robots and programming.

Would really appreciate someone's opinion. I am to purchase a robot for milling high density polyurethane foam and other soft foams.
    Currently I've been looking at a brand new set-up which is a little over powered for its job. Alternately, I've been looking at a refurbished 2015 robot.

Was wondering if someone could tell be if buying a refurbished robot is too big of a risk. The price difference is around 40-50% (note that the new set-up is over powered, which increases its price). Please see the 2 setups:

1. Option (New from kuka, the over powered)

- KR 120 R2700 – 2 with their milling equipment set (supplier: HSD; max. speed: 36,000 rpm; tool clamping HSK E40; Air (6 bar); water supply)

- KP1-MB 3000 S

- KL 4000 7meters (8 meters)

- Kuka tool changer with cover (10 slots)

2. Option (Refurbished)(experts when it comes to milling)
    - KR180 R2900 (2015)

- New spindle HSD 951 ISO30 Air cooled
    - Custom made rotating table with Kuka motor with payload of max 1500 kg

- Lineal track 7meters (8 meters)(Model yet to be specified, assuming its the KL 4000)
    - Custom made tool changer (10 slots)

Both options, are fully functional solutions, but I have no experience with robots, so I'm not sure if a refurbished robot is a big No-No, although there is a 40-50% price difference.

And if someone could tell me what CAM software would be best for the robot+track+positioner. Fusion 360 would be the main CAD

Thanks in advance!

Edited once, last by kimalia ().

• Just be aware both a kr120 or 180 with that level of reach is actually quite "light weight" and are prone to resonance in a milling application.

Even my KR240 if I give the spindle a shove you can see it vibrate, something like a KR360 however if you give the head a thump it's absolutely rock solid.

Refurbished robots can be perfectly OK if the dealer is reputable, but you take your chances with that, and kuka can be less inclined to offer as good support if you bought it 3rd party.

Also note the operating system on the robot, KSS 8.3 is end of life as win7 is becoming unsupported , and if you need to upgrade to 8.6 with Windows 10 your looking at about £5000. This also comes into play if you wish to use a technology package such as kuka cnc. The new version will only run on 8.6, and the older one can only work on 8.3 (8.5 won't support it)

In terms of programming, as you already seem familiar with fusion to generate your tool paths, Robodk would be a good option, you can download the free trial on their website.

As another side, you will need to factor in install costs setting up the safety systems etc, this is not something you should attempt yourself if unfamiliar with robots, remember they can move a lot faster than you can, and they kill.

• seems like there are 2 of us in this situation. i was looking at a 220 kuka with spindle. 2010 refurbished. i will check it next week. I also am a beginner and I have no ideea about the software. too many info on google and my head is mest up right now.

Advertising from our partners