Problem with robot backup

• Hi There!

We had been struggling for some time now to get an image backup from an R30iB controller. The controller is commanding a delta robot M-3iA/6s. We are using the controller UD1 port to get the image with a USB flash drive. We had tried several different USB flash drives, with bigger or smaller capacity, 'recommended' by Fanuc, etc. Specifically, we had tried:

- To do a backup from the controlled start (F1 + F5)

- To do a backup from the FILE Menu in cold start

- With a USB drive formatted in the robot

- With a USB drive with the size of 2Gb, 4Gb or bigger (included some Sandisk Cruzer Blade)

What we are seeing, is that the robot generates all the FROMXX.IMG, but gets stuck in the SRAM00.IMG file. It doesn't finish after waiting for more than 1 hour, and we are forced to turn off the robot. After taking out the USB from the robot, the robot starts correctly, but in the USB there are the FROMXX.IMG files, but not the SRAMXX.IMG files (Please, see the attached image for reference)

Do any of you guys have experience dealing with a similar problem? Thanks!

• Sorry, I've been there, last file and it fails

Try different USB Different brand and size

Try UT1. UD1 is, believe or not more reliable, but in your case try UT1

Did you actually solve it? I think we had tried every single combination, with different USB flash drives. But if you solved it just by trying other options, we might have some hope I guess.

Could it be some kind of problem in the SRAM memory?

We have 14 of the same robots and no problem with them. Only with this specific robot, we are facing this backup problem.

Edited once, last by dahonora ().

• Yes, eventually worked. It's been a long time and I do not remember the magic involved.

Like you said I also tried every single combo, maybe the solution was combinations of combinations

Did you try formatting the USB using Fanuc format ?

Can you do any other backup ? Don't laugh, but maybe the operating system is stack somewhere and another backup will wake it up.

Retired but still helping

• No, we haven't tried with a Memory Card (I suppose we are referring to the PCMCIA). Do you think, that is worth trying?

Yes, the PCMCIA. Yup, sometimes it solves my issues, if you have one laying around, be sure to give it a try!

• Yes, eventually worked. It's been a long time and I do not remember the magic involved.

Like you said I also tried every single combo, maybe the solution was combinations of combinations

Did you try formatting the USB using Fanuc format ?

Can you do any other backup ? Don't laugh, but maybe the operating system is stack somewhere and another backup will wake it up.

Yes, we tried formating the USB using the Fanuc format.

We had been doing 'All of Above' backups without problems.

As for the other suggestion about the PCMCIA, we don't have any around, but I will be sure to get one and give it a try.

• What's USB size? I can never get anything more than 2 GB to work, so maybe try smaller memory on flash drive. I'm very surprised the MC card didn't work. Did you try to get answers from Fanuc directly? They would definitely point you in the right direction.

• Format the MC in the robot and try again.

For the UD1 USB, try swapping the USB & cable from the SOP-to-CPU with one from a robot that works to see if the problem moves.

For UT1 USB, swap pendant and cable together with one that works and try again.

If you still have issues with the SRAM image and have a good AoA backup, you may want to consider an INIT Start and then load in the backup.

As alive15 said, calling Fanuc may be good place to start before spending more time on this.

• PCMCIA adapters with Compact Flash cards still work and I prefer to use them for system software installation and auto updates. USB is still hit and miss, MC has always worked for me.

• Skooter, alive15, dahonora, jpsantos96 - as far as I know, in R-30iB and later there's no possibility to make z backup using MC. I suppose they stopped supporting it. It was working until R-30iA.

But when I have a chance to have R-30iB in my hands I'll make a try myself and let you know.

I must admit that you made me go look to verify the R-30iB Main Board had the PCMCIA port. Like pdl says, it seem more reliable and it works when the USB ports might not be the best option due to foreign material in them.

• I have had multiple issues when installing system software via UD1: especially with the new green and black USB drives. Off the top of my head, I believe that they are Transcend brand.

I always run the apverify batch file, and they will always pass, but they usually will hang during the second phase of the software install at "¥control1.com loading".

I have never tried to do an ethernet install, and I don't think I have ever found any documentation on doing one. I am guessing that it's reserved for Fanuc and maybe the automotive guys.

• I have had multiple issues when installing system software via UD1: especially with the new green and black USB drives. Off the top of my head, I believe that they are Transcend brand.

I always run the apverify batch file, and they will always pass, but they usually will hang during the second phase of the software install at "¥control1.com loading".

I have never tried to do an ethernet install, and I don't think I have ever found any documentation on doing one. I am guessing that it's reserved for Fanuc and maybe the automotive guys.

I had a similar issue during software install, so I called Fanuc about it, and, I kid you not, the tech told me to jiggle the stick. To my amazement, it worked.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• I must admit that you made me go look to verify the R-30iB Main Board had the PCMCIA port. Like pdl says, it seem more reliable and it works when the USB ports might not be the best option due to foreign material in them.

Skooter I haven't said it's not there, it is, sure. But I heard somewhere they stopped supporting doing backup since R-30iB. Maybe I missed something. Have you tried to do it with success?

Advertising from our partners