How do you calculate tcp?

• Hi!

I'm messing with fanuc robots for more than 10 years. But most of the time I integrate robots for simple pick and place applications, as injection molding machines and such. Normally I just use a measuring tape to set the tcp :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: but I'm sure there are some more accurate methods to do this correctly. Of course I also use roboguide for this but I'm curious what are the best ways to set the tcp.

• I like to go right off the CAD drawings for the tool, if drawings are available.

If there are no drawings, I manually teach the TCP if accuracy is important or use the tape measure method if accuracy doesn't matter too much.

• Hello, if you go to the extreme precise robot motion, TCP becomes one of the most important things that you have to set up before teach.

I've been teaching the robot for Laser cutting and Car bumper trimming using Cutting tools held by the robot. for all of those applications, I mostly spend 1 whole day only setting the best and accurate TCP. because the bad TCP sometimes give a bad shape of my cutting result (it is only my experience)

for the accurate one, I usually use 2 sharp tools, mostly it has a form like a sharp cone, one of this cone held by the EOAT of the robot, and the other one is put on the table or anything else. Then I make 4 point method until I'm sure the TCP has a good accuration.

Advertising from our partners