KRC4 8.8.5 CIP safety

• Hi,

I am attempting to start up a KRC4 with KSS 8.6.5 , Ethernet I/P V4.1.2 and Safe Op V3.5.2

I have set up ab AB 1749-L33ERMS running V33 firmware and set up a Kuka KRC4 safety robot using the Kuka AOP V1.6

The manual with that comes with Ethernet V4.1.2 mentions that for this AOP for

For KSS 8.5:

‒ Major Revision: 3

‒ Minor Revision: 1

No mention of KSS8.6 setup but the cover page of the manual says it is foe Version 8.6 software.

When I am on line withe PLC I get error 16#0116 Major and or minor revision incorrect.

When I try discover modules ABB finds the robot but shows a V4.001 module

The AOP that I have does not allow Ver 4 to be selected , ony minor version changes

This AOP worked for me with V31 AB software and KSS8.5 and EIP V3.1.4.15

Does any one know

1) Will this AOP work with Ethernt I/P 4.1.2 and what revision number must be entered?

2) is there a new Version of the AOP available and where Can find it? I have not had any luck on AB's website or Kuka's website finding any AOP for kuka robots at all. Even the versionthat I downloaded last year seems to have dissapeared.

3) Can I remove the current EIP option and downgrade to V3.1.4.15 to establish a connection ? If I do this will it create probelms with Safe Op?

Thanks for any help

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Customer satisfaction is my top priority - <br />Except when it is hard, unprofitable or I'm busy

• normally version should match EIP version.

that is how it was with KRC2, that is how it is with KRC4 but... this is not without exception.

in case of KSS8.3 one had to use KSS version rather than EIP version.

1. Don't know about KSS8.6 or 8.8 as your topic title suggests, you should check manuals. they tend to be good source of information. Xpert will tell you what version of options matches your KSS. as far as what version numbers to select, check with KUKA if all fails. i would expect that this is 4.1 for EIP 4.1 but as mentioned, there were odd balls...

2. AOP is not KUKA product. KUKA was kind enough to host copy of the file on its own server. but this is RockwellSoftware product and can be downloaded from AB/Rockwell website.

3. first of all you cannot just install some random options. they are paid software and require license per controller. license is tied to first two numbers of the the version, if you want to install different one, you need to buy it. second thing to watch for is compatibility. read the manuals. Xpert has list of compatible options for every KSS version. and lastly, KUKA has support that can help with this, send you correct AOP (if applicable) or any software upgrade/downgrade that is compatible with your system etc.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• It looks like I fat fingered the title , Should be KSS 8.6.5

I was able to get things to communicate. Below are some notes and a PDF attachment that may assist others in the same situation.

1 The Kuka Add On Profile does not work with KSS 8.6.5 and MS Ethernet I/P 4.1.2

The AOP only allows a major revision level selection of 3 and this results in a Module mismatch error

2) The Generic Ethernet – Safety – Standard module does work -when the Major revision level is set to 4. All other setting Re the instance numbers are the same as in the manual

3) The RPI settings must be set to values shown in the manual. The input settings can be changed from the dialog boxes when setting up the AOP but just as important the O/P RPI must be set to at least 25 mS . This cannot be changed from the dialog box in the AOP. This setting is changed under the safety task properties in the PLC. This is where I ended up at a dead end. The module would not get past RPI error and I could not figure how to change the setting.

Note: At this point of time (Feb 2021) the Kuka AOP was not on the Rockwell web site (as far as I could tell tell). Plenty of AOP's for Fanuc though.

• I am having exactly the same problem, getting the same errors under that AOP V1.6, for Kuka 8.6. Then I tried exactly the same as you, used the same Assembly Instances and still does not work.

That procedure in your PDF was for making work a Kuka V8.6 with generic ethernet module?

• Yes it is for the Generic Safety - Standard AOP.

I set up the Robot With 64 bytes of standard I/O and 8 bytes of Safety I/O

The critical thing (in my case) was to get the output RPI set correctly , That is set in the safety task not in the AOP.

I have attached a pdf with screen shots of the relevant settings.

• IIRC, there used to be two different "levels" of SafeOp CIP-Safe -- one only offered the minimal two bytes of Safe I/O (safe as the wired X13 connector), and the "better" option offered 8 bytes of SI/O.

You might need to check if your robot has the "lesser" option. In that case, you'll have to change your generic device to only two bytes in each direction.

• the 2-byte version is for systems without SafeOperation. those 2 bytes only cover basics safety (same signals as found on X11).

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• btw, one can use 8-byte version even if no SafeOp is installed. it is just that message will be larger and of course instances are different numbers...

this efficient safety interface is only offered for EIP. for other feldbus types there is only 8-byte option

3) read 1 and 2

• with SafeOp one must use 8 byte option

without SafeOp one can choose between either 2 or 8 byte option... of course using 8-byte here means setup is always the same but extra 6 bytes are transferred with every CIP Safety message. with RPI at 25ms, that means 40 messages per second (or 240 bytes per second) every second, both for send and for receive. if your PLC is connected to 10 robots, that would be 2400 bytes per second each way

3) read 1 and 2

• Yes it is for the Generic Safety - Standard AOP.

I set up the Robot With 64 bytes of standard I/O and 8 bytes of Safety I/O

The critical thing (in my case) was to get the output RPI set correctly , That is set in the safety task not in the AOP.

I have attached a pdf with screen shots of the relevant settings.

Sorry not replaying before, that day I figured it out as well, I was taking your first post as a base but I guess you had a typo on the output assembly instance where you put "104", later I got from Kuka that it should be 1024, just like your replay to my post.

Thank you anyways, that helped me a lot.

• Hi colleagues

I had a similar problem with the RPI.

I solved it by physically disconnecting the SION-SIB-STD connector from the KRC cabinet and remove too from the project in WorkVisual.

I hope this will help you to solve the problem.

• KSS really does not like when configuration and connected hardware do not match. this means trouble any time something is connected but not configured or configured but not connected.

3) read 1 and 2

• There is a PDF with some screen shots showing how I was able to get ti to work higher up in the thread

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />Customer satisfaction is my top priority - <br />Except when it is hard, unprofitable or I'm busy

• hello:

i did what you have write in the pdf , i still can't get them communicated . the alarm in studio 500) :

"safety network number mismatch " , the connect id in the safety page in work visual is 2 , i also set it in the studio 5000 too.

• Unless something changed recenly in KUKA EIP, there is no safety ID in WoV for CipSafety. This is managed on the PLC side.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners