Base calibration

• KRC4 8.6.6

At present I don't have the real robot - I'm only using Work Visual 6.0 on a PC.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to automate the manual KUKA 3 point base calibration procedure using a simple binary sensor connected to a fast measuring input. I want to be able to capture my points whilst a nominal base and measuring tool are active, and to produce a correction frame which I can use to shift the nominal program to fit the actual location of my workpiece:-

New_Base = Nominal_Base : Correction_frame

I'm sure I've seen this discussed before but can't find the threads referred to as they may be obsolete: wherever it was mentioned, the links don't work anymore. This is from 2017: -

I've considered using TouchSense 3.2 as has been suggested elsewhere, but I'm not convinced that it will result in the correction frame that I need as it does with the manual 3 point method. This example program shown in 9.1 of the documentation is confusing as it doesn't show how the 3D correction is done on lines 30-35, as the points were made with BASE[0], not with a pre-defined workpiece base: -

How can this work? I can see that the 3 correction vectors CD1 CD2 and CD3 were determined using BASE[1]:Table, but the points to be corrected are executed using Base[0], not BASE[1]:Table, as one would expect. Is it being done using a Technology Function as with a TTS weave? I find the documentation confusing as it doesn't explain actually how the shift is done.

I understand the KUKA 3 point base calibration procedure uses some embedded dll code so there is no KRL to examine as with some other included functions. I'm sure if I had a real robot to play with, I could come up with a reasonable solution using instructions such as the geometric operator and INV_POS (...) for example, but I'm working from home at present, so proper development and tryout is difficult.

Can anyone point me to some KRL code as an example, so that I can understand how the task might be accomplished?

Thanks in advance! :smiling_face:

Advertising from our partners