Kuka Dynamically Overloaded Workarounds

• I'm new to industrial robotic arms and am looking at the KR 6R 900 Sixx. Our preferred payload is about 5 kg with inertias (Ixx/Iyy/Izz) of 0.25 / 0.25 / 0.4 kgm^2. We can remove some of the hardware to get the payload down to 2 kg with 0.1/0.1/0.1 kgm^2 inertias if necessary.

We have very low speed requirements and are only using this arm as a convenient method of pointing a large panel instead of building a custom two axis frame with rotary actuators. Our reach requirements are also small as we're only using the arm to orientation the panel.

The Kuka.Load program indicates everything is OK statically but that Axes 4, 5, and 6 are dynamically overloaded.

My question is whether there will be a way to reduce the robot maximum speeds for each axes to very low values such that the robot can still slowly position this large inertial load without exceeding dynamic limits in practice, or will the software detect the large inertia and refuse to move?

• Hm... I think, if you set LOAD_DATA correctly, the motion planner should detect the overload condition and "de-rate" the motions (particularly the accelerations) to a safe level. However, if it's not even possible to physically move at all without a dynamic overload... I'm not sure. I've never overloaded a KR this way. I believe it will try to run anyway, but you may find yourself hitting overtorque/overcurrent errors on a regular basis.

You may be able to run successfully by reducing speed/accel on all your motions, but you may wear the robot out prematurely. And almost certainly void parts of the warranty.

• how exactly did you obtain inertia values? are you sure your data is correct? and what is CoG?

to have a 2kg body with inertia of 0.1kgm&2, it would need to have diameter of a beachball.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• if you are sure about it, so be it...

but...

your numbers show them all the same or one axis significantly larger than other two.

and that does not seem right...

flat panel should have large and more or less equal values along two axes, and about 3-4 times less about remaining axis.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners