User frame setup

• I am trying to set up a new user frame for a process. The robot was added later to this process, so the work space is already full of fixtures and equipment. So, I am unable to get the robot down to the actual work space, which is a rectangular table. If i set up the user frame to be above the workspace(table) will that be sufficient enough to get an accurate image of the workspace or do i need to be on the actual table when I set up the user frame. Thanks for any help!!!!!

• That depends on how accurate you need your user frame to be. If your work space may move relative to the robot, you will need to make sure that you can access each point on the work space consistently to touch up the user frame. If you simply want to define a new orientation different from world, it really doesn't matter as long as you are consistent with using that user frame.

Have you considered using the four-point method? That will let you define the frame about your workspace then shift it to a new origin, so that will work as long as there is one point on your workspace that you can reach with the robot.

• Ok thanks, there are jigs attached to the table top that will hold the workpieces. That's why I can't get to the table itself. The table will not be moving relative to the robot. So, if i used a pointer or the four point method then would I need to adjust the Z value.

• When teaching user frames with a pointer, it is critical to have an accurate TCP defined for the teaching pointer. As long as the pointer is properly defined, you will not need to adjust the Z value of the taught frame.

The tool frame of the teaching pointer should be it's own UTOOL, and I would touch it up with the 3-point method every time i remove and then reinstall it.

Once the user frame is taught, then you can remove the pointer and teach your points with the proper EOAT UTOOL.

Advertising from our partners