KUKA Vision Camera Replacement

• One of our system have two camera side by side detecting left side camera to left side of conveyor and right side camera to right side of conveyor.

We faced the communication failure to left side of vision. See attached the fault_01 and fault_02 images.

The KUKA technician's recommendation is to replace the cable first then the camera since the camera price is a bit higher.

We had new cables connecting between the camera and PoE switch, we replaced but no luck. Same errors occurs.

So I found same camera at some source for less price but new and now I'm ready to replace.

Since it is my first time doing this, I'm somewhat scared(?) to install by myself.

Step should be following; (Please add comments or suggestion if I'm wrong)

1. Power off the system
    2. Remove the cable going to PoE switch
    3. Replace the camera and its lens and its cover
    4. Re-install the cable going to PoE switch
    5. Turn the power on
    6. Go to Vision tech and refresh the camera to look for new one just installed
    7. setup the camera setting same as before and same IP addresses.

Question that maybe, all VPP programming files were stored at controller, I shouldn't worry about it, correct?

Any comments or suggestions will be DEEPLY appreciated.

Regards all,

• i have used VisionTech few times but so far always used single camera.

since you have two cameras, why did you bother buying new cable?

would it not be quicker, cheaper and easer to test if problem is camera or cable simply by swapping parts between the two?

btw, i would not move the original camera or lens before confirming that it really has to be replaced. i would just unplug cable from camera, then connect another camera (with own lens, just for testing) and check it everything is in working order.

anyway, your steps look good, as far as mechanical exchange of camera is concerned - but to get precision, you should still carry out proper setup (calibration, zoom, focus etc.) since replacement means camera is moved. so this means using calibration plate and making sure it is located correctly at correct elevation, matching camera base.

yes, VPP files and tasks are stored on the controller and can be backed up by creating archive. if i recall serial number is used to identify camera as cam1, cam2 etc.and task then uses cam1,cam2. so probably no need to change anything.

btw. KUKA cameras are really OEM from Baumer and come preconfigured with KUKA defaults. Baumer has also own software called Camera Explorer that allows detailed diagnostics and configuration of the cameras.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• How quickly are the cameras being triggered?

Try adding a short delay between the trigger calls to allow the VisionTech service to close any out standing requests.

If you do end up replacing the camera, there is a KUKA download for exchanging a camera, you have to enter the old camera sensorID and the new sensorID and it changes the VPP's to suit.

• How quickly are the cameras being triggered?

Try adding a short delay between the trigger calls to allow the VisionTech service to close any out standing requests.

If you do end up replacing the camera, there is a KUKA download for exchanging a camera, you have to enter the old camera sensorID and the new sensorID and it changes the VPP's to suit.

KUKA download for exchanging a camera?

• Sorry, I got confused with the 3DPerception IP Changer.

There is a KUKA internal tool for the Sensor ID Changing, maybe contact them to see if you can have it.

• We use to get this "no entry" as I call it when the cables failed but also because the electrical installation team didn't use >= CAT 5E LAN cables. The system is sensitive to the cable shielding.

Also, within the GUI of VisionTech, are you able to see the camera(s) via serial number , if so then the cabling must be ok and if so, your camera processing could may be in error and a replacement could be required.

Another point to note, I think you need to transfer the license file using the Cognex license serever, as it may be assigned to this camera. Seeing you have two cameras, means at some stage two licenses were purchased and installed onto the controller. But I could be over cautious on this statement.

• We use to get this "no entry" as I call it when the cables failed but also because the electrical installation team didn't use >= CAT 5E LAN cables. The system is sensitive to the cable shielding.

Shouldn't that be CAT 6, given that these are Gigabit connections?

• um....definetly plausible ( I'm going back a few years ), but certainly I'd go as you point CAT6 / CAT6E....( not sure if CAT 6E is even a released standard).

it was however a scenario of familiarity which wasn't the camera.......

for reference the camera type:

MXG20-I7-K40

Advertising from our partners