Possibility of using non painting robot for non electrostatic liquid painting

• Hello,

First please check label of a yaskawa painting servomotor in attached photo. It seems it is not an ATEX motor. The question is, if I cover an Arc welding robot and atach a pipe of air pressure to it to prevent entering paint to the robot, can I use such robot for non electrostatc painting?

Anyone has any experience?

• i have not used painting robots so cannot speak from experience. but i would not go by that label alone, it is quite rudimentary. for example it does not show any approvals or compliance (it is not just ATEX label that is missing). that is not uncommon for small products if there is not enough space for marking. in those cases info could be seen in product datasheet. but motor labels do not have that space retriction and so this should be shown like this:

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you. May you right but paint robots normally have hallow wrist and paint valves install over their arms to reduce clearing solvent consumption. Also they design in a way that you can connect electrostatic atomizers to their wrist. This require that the wrist isolated from high voltage. They cover robot and connect the cover to an air pressure source to prevent entering paint. Also the robot joint designed for smooth speed instead of accurate position.

I think may the isolation gap required for high voltage of electrostatic painting limited us for using painting robots for paint applications and may we can use arc welding robots with cover and air pressure connection for non electrostatic painting.

Any idea?

• Hello,

I want to share my experience about this question.

The Yaskawa paint robot (I check EPX2900) uses a system that named "Air Purging". It has a separate controller. When the robot turns on Air purging system first vacuums the motor cover area to sure that it evacuate all explosive paint and solvent gases and then it fills the motor covers with an air pressure and monitors this pressure and generate error if air pressure drop happens. If no error exist Air purging controllers let the robot controller to work.

I think this is the way that let Yaskawa uses non ex motors for joints of this paint robot type.

• It depends entirely on the explosion risk. I'm no expert in this field, but as I understand it, a properly rated covering, with a sufficiently reliable positive-pressure internally, may be sufficient to pass safety requirements -- it depends on region.

Some coverings are made for non-paint applications, so you would need to ensure that whichever one you chose was properly rated for the type of paint you're using. Also, confirmation that the cover was still properly sealed to the robot at the base and wrist, and that the air pressure was active, would be necessary.

https://www.directindustry.com…otective-cover-87742.html

Advertising from our partners