Wire Retracting Instead of Wire Inching To Find Arc

• Hello

Right now my Kawasaki robot with an E controller is trying wire retract instead of wire inch when its cant find an arc right away. When I watch the ARC monitor it will show "Arc On" then try constantly to "Wire Retract" to find the plat. When the robot is trying to weld the I need the system to "wire inch" every time it can not start an arc.

Thanks

• Without knowing how your setup, programming method is and interfacing with your power source is, I would check your weld settings and dedicated signals to see if this is a result of the automatic features specifically orientated towards start up sequences and retries.

Aux 140403

Aux 0601 and 0602

• So I found under AUX : ARC WELD : ARC WELD SETTINGS : WELD START SEQUENCE that the internal settings for when the robot doesn't find a weld is to retract the wire and its built in. I would think that this should be inching when it can't find an arc. Is the only way for a E controller to inch the wire during a program to have the 9.0 of the arc welding manual touch sensing?

Thanks, Robert

• I would think that this should be inching when it can't find an arc.

Why would you think this would be better?

What reasons exist that would prevent an arc being struck?

If the wire is not in the action of 'being fed', then the arc strike would create a disconnection at the point of striking an arc, just like at the end of the weld (crater setting).

Touch sensing is completely different, this is used to detect the surface by feeding and retracting, not actually weld and also to set wire length prior to welding, as with touch sensing, this is done at a substantially lower voltage/current, or else you would create an arc with current/voltage to melt the wire.

Attached is a touch sense example I made in KROSET using the example provided in the manual.

Which detects the object, sets the wire length, then creates reference frames and then the weld path based on the orientation of the workpiece.

• I was having the issue where the wire length was not long enough to start an arc and no matter how many times the arc retry function would retry it wouldn't find an arc. I think I was just to new to the arc retry settings and after a couple of days playing with those settings I was able to reliably get a arc to start at varying wire lengths.

Thanks for the heads up on the touch sensing I will now start looking into this more. I know we are planning on moving to touch sensing so this was very helpful.

Thanks!

• The wire length is not necessarily an issue at the start of the weld, as long as the feed speed of the wire can overlap the arc failure timeout and travel the distance. within the arc failure timeout period.

The further away you teach the start weld position can also affect arc failure too.

I use the width of my thumb as the lead out distance usually.

Advertising from our partners