Office Lite utility

• Hi

I did finish my first kuka project which was about packing and palletising cardboard and overall I'm quite surprised of how kuka works ( quite open and mainly DIY). I did not expect kuka to work like this to be honest but like every robotics brand, it has pros and cons. I still considered myself as new in kuka.

I did acquired kukaSimpro which is awesome and surprisingly not laggy at all compare to other simulation software. Yeah my PC is not made for those simulation:). I was able to make the simulation of the futur project.

With kukaSimpro , we also get kuka officeLite and I have few questions about it, and as you might expected, I wanna transfer that simulation into OL.

Despite my research I do not find any tutorial/manual of how to link officeLite to SimPro/WorkVisual.

All officeLite manuals are about how to install officeLite (which was useful considering you need to use VirtualMachine).

could I have any information about the link between OL and SP/WoV.

and What about kuka sim Pro, what kind of information can I extract from that simulation (config. dat , program ...)

one last word : my boss is convinced that we can make a tremendous work before we acquire the robot with officeLite. Basically programming everything is advanced and barely check some moves where the robot is installed.

But from what I have read, the fonctionnality of OfficeLite is pretty limited...

thank for your responds

• i use OL without SimPro. love it. i can easily do 99% of work and send the project to technician that will be on site. he checks and teaches tools/bases if needed, touches up handful of points and most of the time that's pretty much it.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• But from what I have read, the fonctionnality of OfficeLite is pretty limited...

what are the limitations you have read?

As panic mode mentioned in post #2, it is a very useful tool (even without SimPro)

OL acts like a real robot system (some hardware is missing - like KLI or not supported, KRL programming is fully supported - Windows and Base system side)

• hey everyone and best wishes for this new years. Hope it will better than 2020 ;).

what are the limitations you have read?

As panic mode mentioned in post #2, it is a very useful tool (even without SimPro)

OL acts like a real robot system (some hardware is missing - like KLI or not supported, KRL programming is fully supported - Windows and Base system side)

I might write something wrong indeed, this is not from what I have read but from what I heard that the fonctionnality is limited.

Probably because most of the roboticians I've talk to never use online programming...

Anyway I'm still missing OL manuals. I do believe this software can be useful but I only find manual on how to install it but not how to use it :smiling_face: If anyone has any information , It would be greatful.

i use OL without SimPro. love it. i can easily do 99% of work and send the project to technician that will be on site. he checks and teaches tools/bases if needed, touches up handful of points and most of the time that's pretty much it.

My question is quite simple : what you can do with OL that you can't do with WV?

and my second question is :

All of our implantation required API communication with the robot,

Can you simulate the communication inside OL?

If you can't then I don't see the point of using OL instead of WV.

I can create a WorkVisual programs with communication already set up (profinet for example) and send it to a technician that checks and teaches tools/bases if needed, touches up points and so on like you said.

Thank you for your responses

• .. what you can do with OL that you can't do with WV?...

F. e. you can execute robot programs, watch the program flow and variables.

Can you simulate the communication inside OL?

Depends, no industrial bus system will work, but Ethernet-XML should.

With simple programs that have no complicated calculations or data handling you can use WV to create the programs, if you are comfortable with it. But you can not test the logic of of your program.

Some people are used to write programs with normal text editors, and check the syntax on a real robot or OL (that's how I work most time, because WV has that much changing bugs, and gets slow with a bit more complex programs).

Jm2c

• Thank you hermann for your response.

I'm ready to find by myself if office Lite is useful or not :smiling_face:

But besides manuals that specify how to install OfficeLite into virtual machine (which I have successfully installed but was a pain in the ***) , there is absolutely no information of how to use office lite.

If anyone has any documentation, manuals of it works please let me know.

I've already search in kuka website. Can't find anything at all...

• i suggest to read pinned topic READ FIRST

you may get better responses if you state some details such as version number and what exactly seem to be the challenge. also what is the "kuka website" you mention? it is not like KUKA has only one domain and single webpage.

in the past OL was software to install like any other - directly onto host OS.

but those days are long gone. modern OL comes as a preconfigured virtual machine. all you need is license key and suitable version of vmware. this allows OL to run on variety of host OS and without risk of environments "cross-contamination" that happens with updates etc.

purchasing OL gives you perpetual license but new license keys need to be requested every year from KUKA simulation team.

using OL is not really different from using teach pendant of the robot controller - you use same menus etc. - like on real teach pendant. this is why there is no specific manual to describe "how to use OL". supplied documentation is meant to help install or configure OL. actual use is same as real KRC so you may want to check reference documentation for real robot as mentioned in READ FIRST

on older OL jogging direction depended on used mouse button (left/right), window could be resized (which was quite handy) etc.

on newer OL jogging (and everything else) is done with only left mouse click. and window resizing is unfortunately no longer possible as new OL sports this insanely fat bezel to make it look like a teach pendant. may look neat for marketing but for actual intended use (programming) this is simply poor use of key resource - screen space. even with two external monitors, i have way too many windows open and every pixel counts. perhaps OL developers have mouse cursor size of a boxing glove. :winking_face:

but seriously, if anyone from Kuka Simulation team is reading this, please consider slim view option for OL, that would be appreciated.

Advertising from our partners