Tormach is getting into robots

• Looks like Tormach is getting into the robotics world.

Anyone not familiar with Tormach, they produce hobby to prosumer grade lathes and mills. I personally own a series 3 PMC 1100, and I am pretty happy with it.

Looks like they will be available June of next year, for about $17k for a 6kg arm.

Here is a link to the talk:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some interesting notes:

• Runs ROS, programs are in python 3
    • Open source
    • Core servo loop variables available to the user

I think this is very interesting. The fact that this robot is open source, and you can access everthing in it will be very useful.

It remains to be seen how repeatable and realiable the arm is though.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Python itself is pretty easy to pickup. Way easier than most robot programming langauges in my opinion.

As for the robot itself, it is not ready for an industrial environment, and needs a bit of work. I'll go into more detail once they release the robot for the consumer.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Python itself is pretty easy to pickup. Way easier than most robot programming langauges in my opinion.

As for the robot itself, it is not ready for an industrial environment, and needs a bit of work. I'll go into more detail once they release the robot for the consumer.

It is interesting. I use Python to make an new-old Yaskawa Inform II (super old robot language) robot do what I need

• It is interesting. I use Python to make an new-old Yaskawa Inform II (super old robot language) robot do what I need

I am genuinely impressed. I envy the knowledge you have to pull off something like that. What kinds of things can you do? I unfortunately am not computer savvy but I am decent with robots, mostly on the mechanical end. I program DX100 mostly but I bought myself an XRC recently and I hate that I don’t have the expanded language options as a DX like the “if then” statements. Is it possible to makeif then” statements and such for an XRC?

Advertising from our partners