Possible to swap the main computer in IRC5 to allow RobotWare 6 upgrade?

• Hi,

Am am looking for confirmation that it's possible to simply swap out the main computer to a newer one like DSQC 1000 in an IRC5 controller, as I must upgrade towards RobotWare 6 but the current computer can only run RW5. Is it a simple swap? Is there anything else to upgrade regarding hardware?

Thanks!

Thibault

• I would not expect it to be that straightforward. The axis computer may not work correctly, among other things, due to different hardware and firmware revisions that RW 6 would be expecting to see. You should have your ABB contact confirm or deny that.

• That would be great thanks! I have found some Release Notes specifically on RW6.0.7 (just googling) and the Controller Hardware Support lists quite a lot of modules as DSQC10xx, like for IOs, Profibus, DeviceNet, RS-232.. not sure what version is in the IRC5 as I'm currently quoting for purchasing it so no direct access..

• Hey! We're refurbing a used robot and exploring a similar upgrade. I was wondering if you figured this out and performed the swap? Or learned that it was too much of an undertaking? Thanks for any info you can provide.

• For the record:

We have performed this upgrade. It worked. The hardest part was getting ABB spare parts departments to supply the upgrade kit.

Advertising from our partners