How to connect a Robotiq-2f gripper to iiwa' s flange

• Hi,everyone!

I want to connect my Robotiq gripper to the IIWA's flange.

Info of my IIWA:

LBR iiwa 7 R800;

Sunrise Workbench Version: V1.13;

WorkVisual Version: 5.0.2.

Media Flange type: Touch Electrical

Communication method of motion control: FRI

Info of my gripper:

Robotiq 2F-140

The manual of the gripper can be easily found in Google.

Question:

Can I connect my Robotiq gripper to the flange's X2 port(EtherCat port), and then connect the X65(also an EtherCat port) of the cabinet to my computer to control the gripper?

My connection plan is as follows:

(1) As the Robotiq gripper enables RS-485 communication by default, I want to convert RS485 signal to Ethernet signal by a converter showing in Fig. 1.

Fig .1 RS485 - Ethernet converter

(2) Then I connect the Ethernet pins(RX±, TX±) to the X2 port(4 pins as well) of the flange.

(3) Connect X65 port of the cabinet directly with a net cable to the computer where i have the EtherCat drive to control the gripper.

I wonder that whether what i do above is feasible or not.

According to IIWA's brochure, some jobs should be done in the WorkVisual if I want to use X2 port. However I cannot find out how exactly to do the configuration in WV. If my plan is feasible, how do i configure the X2 port in WV?

• Hello,

First of all, X2 is an EtherCAT interface not an EtherNet. It is kind of already coupled inside of the robot and to the controller which means you can not hijack it in between its connection.

Second, Robotiq gripper's EtherCAT interface is supported by LBR iiwa. You can simply import a device description file to Sunrise(WorkVisual is needed) system and control Robotiq gripper in your robot application-java code-.

Third, If you want a simple direct wires on the flange, you have X74, X75 which are directly bypassing the robot body and going out through X76 at the base of the robot. You can make use of that interface on your own. It has capability of 2 power inputs and 6 (3 x paired and shielded) lines.

Fourth, the last question regarding WV, is in chapter named "Bus Configuration". If you are looking at END user manual, ask an SI manual to your provider.

Fifth, if your device's interface is converted into EtherNet, you probably want to use KLI interface on the controller, right above the power switch. Yes it's the port that you use when you do installation and synchronization. I personally think it will be the easiest way to do it if you're well aware of socket comm. programming. Or to use an EtherCAT(Second proposal) would be recommended.

Regards,

• Fifth, if your device's interface is converted into EtherNet, you probably want to use KLI interface on the controller, right above the power switch. Yes it's the port that you use when you do installation and synchronization. I personally think it will be the easiest way to do it if you're well aware of socket comm. programming. Or to use an EtherCAT(Second proposal) would be recommended.

I think i have to convert the gripper's interface into Ethernet, if i connect it to the X2 port. So I can directly control my device via the X66 port at the cabinet, if my device is connected to the X2 port?

BTW, I have another question: is there any way to directly read and write the X3 port of the flange instead of using Sunrise?

• I think i have to convert the gripper's interface into Ethernet, if i connect it to the X2 port. So I can directly control my device via the X66 port at the cabinet, if my device is connected to the X2 port?

BTW, I have another question: is there any way to directly read and write the X3 port of the flange instead of using Sunrise?

No and No.

As I mentioned, wires from X2 to X66 are not simply wires. You can not modify any of interfaces from flange (except X74/75 to X76).

Same goes for X3. they are coupled through EtherCAT coupler inside of the robot and only communication is done via controller-robot cable.

You need to use Sunrise as an interface between your device and a robot application.

Could be like
    Sunrise[robot application] - EtherCAT - X3 DIO - your device.

Or if you don't like any of these idea, just use external cabling of your own, and tie them up on "KUKA" marked silver plates.

• Sunrise[robot application] - EtherCAT - X3 DIO - your device.

Actually, I know that using the X76 port is more desirable for this case. However, I'm just curious about if we can make full use of the flange.

(1) Will the X2 port convert the EtherNet signal to EtherCAT signal if the device connected to it doesn't originally transmit and receive EtherCAT data?

(2) If I connect the EtherCAT output from the gripper controller to the X65 port, may I develop a Sunrise Robot Application as a relay node between my device and my computer? Just like this:

my computer↔ another port(like X66, X69 or KONI)↔Sunrise[robot application] ↔ an EtherCAT port(X65 or X2)↔my device

The ROSSmartServo( or FRI) Application is similar to this mechanism as well?

I am using the FRI to control the robot via the KONI port at the cabinet, is there any possibility that using a port(X66, X69 or KONI) to transfer I/O data with the computer while controlling the robot?

Advertising from our partners