KRC2 SafeOperation $MASTERINGTEST_INPRO

• So, I'm still upgrading these KRC2s (KSS 5.5.15, SafeOp 2.1). And everything seemed to be going fine until I tried my first Mastering Reference.

The program ran fine, I could see the indicators for the MasRef sensor (on the sensor itself, and in the SafeOp Diagnostic screen) go false as the robot hit the reference position. The robot pulled away, hit the end of the MasRefReq.SRC program... and threw a fault message (with no number) that says "Mastering reference failed; system variable $MasteringTest_InPro is FALSE".

This system variable, and this message, are not mentioned anywhere in the SafeOp 2.1 manual. It's also not declared in any of the .DAT files in the robot.

My reference position is taught in both the MasRefStart program and in the SafeOp setup screen.

The one odd thing about this robot is that is has 9 axes, but only 8 of them show up in the SafeOp config screen -- the E3 axis is a dual-servo axis that's part of the end effector and doesn't need SafeOp monitoring. E2 is a single-servo part of the end effector which, likewise, does not require SafeOp monitoring, and is crossed out in the Monitoring Axis section of the SafeOp config screen. E1 is a kinematically integrated KL1500 rail, and is "active" in the SafeOp "Monitored Axes" menu.

• Place your Ad here!
  • Addendum: I have exactly the same problem with a similar robot that only has 8 axes (E1 a kinematically integrated KL1500, and E8 a part of the end effector which does not need SafeOp monitoring). So this must be a configuration item I'm getting wrong.

The one odd thing about this robot is that is has 9 axes, but only 8 of them show up in the SafeOp config screen

This at least is normal. SafeRdw only supports maximal 8 axes. This is a bit confusing because DSE supports 9.

The signal is a internal communication signal between SafeRdw and the non safe VxWorks kernel. After this long time I do no longer remember the details but I think there was a possibly hidden krl program running the process of the reference process waiting for this system variable to get true after a certain amount of time. The signal itself is a internally defined system variable similar to e.g. $BASE where you will not be able to find definition. I would try to find this possibly hidden program and look at its content.

A common cause for a failed reference is the two contacts of the reference not being activated simultaneously enough. But probably you are already aware of this. And still I do not remember whether this would lead to your message.

• A common cause for a failed reference is the two contacts of the reference not being activated simultaneously enough. But probably you are already aware of this. And still I do not remember whether this would lead to your message.

Yeah. And if I deliberately trip the two sides of the sensor at different times, I get a different fault. "MasRef Switch Defective," I think, but I'd have to trigger it again to be sure.

This at least is normal. SafeRdw only supports maximal 8 axes. This is a bit confusing because DSE supports 9.

Hm! Well, that's good to know.

• Having time to sleep over this one night I think the $masteringtest_inpro stands for mastering test in progress. I know remember there was a handshake between non safe controller and SafeRdw at the beginning of the hidden krl program I talked about. The program sends a signal to SafeRdw to get into mastering reference mode. If the SafeRdw does not answer fast enough (do not remember the times) by setting $masteringtest_inpro to true you probably get the message. Since it has no message number associated it is probably printed out using a simple printf or MsgLib style message. After this probably masref program is stopped.

How this helps analyse your problem I am not sure. But I know non safe controller sends its start mastering reference command through dse because dse channels all communication with SafeRdw.

Maybe take a look into the TP folder of the robot system. I think this is where the hidden program resides on hard disk.

• There's nothing in the TP folder aside from P00, and the SafeRobot folder, which contains only MasRefReq, MasRefStart, and MasRefBack (and BrakeTestReq, BrakeTestStart, and BrakeTestBack). Start and Back were empty aside from the comment "add your points here", which I've done. MasRefReq is what's throwing the mystery error, probably the very end. It's using the message database, rather than writing the message text directly.

My conversation with KUKA Support says that this error should be caused by a mismatch between the MasRef position in MasRefStart, and the RefPos programmed in the SafeOp Config menu. But I've re-done both several times, and tried changing my approach/depart angles and speeds, in multiple combinations. So far, no luck.

• Addendum: well, I'm not sure how or why, but it now works on one robot. I kept reprogramming the MasRef point and approach motion in different ways, and putting the MasRef position just barely inside the sensing distance of the sensor seems to have worked.

The other robot... I think has issues. I program the MasRef point, but when I run to it, A6 "twitches" and I end up arriving 2-3mm off the location I programmed. But A6 passes a Mastering Check with the EMT, so I'm at a loss to explain this. I even changed my MasRef and approach points so that only A2&A3 moved between them, and when I ran the program, I saw A6 twitch ~1-2 deg before beginning the motion to the programmed point.

• just as a sidenote, I think this "_InPro" is referring to a German integrator that also has a branch in US.

??? If integrators are adding system variables to KRCs, it's time to retire.

I took InPro as being shorthand for In Process or something similar. I pulled an old backup from another SafeOp KRC2 I worked on years back, and the MasRefReq files are 100% identical. So I really don't think that an integrator tampered with this program.