Adding a new device in Work Visual

• I am wanting to add a Beckhoff Ethercat I/O module to the X-44 bus. I used Work Visual (5.0.5_Build0600) to add the device to the DTM catalog. The problem I am having is that when l launch Work Visual by selecting the IO configuration from my project and highlight the X-44 bus and select "add" the new device does not show up on the list of selectable DTMs. I can see that the new device is in te DTM catalog. Why would it not show up in the list of selectable DTMs?

• what Beckhoff module?

you mean EL1809? that is not an EtheCat device, it is just an I/O block (input module). it has no fieldbus connectivity on its own.

to have product like that work on some fieldbus, it needs a device that called bus coupler.

X44 is EtherCat bus. to connect I/Os to EtherCat, they need to be behind EtherCat bus coupler like EK1100.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The attached photo shows the EtherCat hardware----It is attached to an EK1100 Everything shown came with the robot when purchased except the EL1859 8-in, 8-out module that was just added.

• well something is not right...

first of all READ FIRST...

and provide details. you are skipping important info and posted picture is only small part of entire picture.

clearly the EK1100 is not communicating (only two LEDs are on). also it is not part of the WoV project.

if the EK1100 was connected to X44 and this configuration was is in the robot, that robot would be faulted.

instead of EK1100, EL669x, your first image shows generic IO module from Hilscher (NIC-50). This is found in various devices but the blue icon icon on that module is from Robotiq... and Robotiq uses it in the gripper controller to add EtherCat interface. So it would seem that someone simply connected controller for the Robotiq gripper directly to CCU port X44 and bypassed all the I/O that you show in second image.

You need to follow green EtherCat cable from X44 and note exact order of all connected devices. that is how your KEB should be configured. also you say that you already installed EL1859 but obviously that is not true, module is not part of the picture.

also what you have there is a WoV project not for KRC4 but for SunriseOS...

Also this forum is for standard robots (not collaborative). LBR IIWA is collaborative robot and there is a sub-forum for it.

should have mentioned that as well as version of your SunriseOS because when it comes to Sunrise, WoV version must be chosen carefully.

so....

KEB is a KUKA Extension Bus

order of devices on that bus matters and - physical installation/connections must be matched by bus configuration in your WoV project. that including bus topology, order of IO slices etc.

so you have two choices when it comes to order on the KEB:

1. X44 <---> NIC 50 (robotiq) <---> EK1100 (with I/O modules)

2. X44 <---> EK1100 (with I/O modules) <---> NIC 50 (robotiq)

but since I/O is already inside Sunrise controller, and NIC 50 is normally external, (asuming you do not want to mount the IO externally), then option 2 would make for much neater wiring:

X44 <---> EK1100 (with I/O modules: EL1859, EL669x.xxxx) <---> X69 interface <---> NIC 50 (robotiq)

so after adding EK1100 and I/O modules, edit topology to match correct order.

next, for each of used devices you need to import correct device description file. that includes EL1859, EK1100, bridge EL669x.xxxxx etc.

it should look like image below. i highlighted in green actual KEB. note that ELxxxx modules are not EtherCat devices, EK1100 is, and they communicate over backplane (EBus). that is the set of golden contacts on the side of the modules.

and as a final note, if you are not using or planning to use bridge EL669x.xxxx, maybe just remove it.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners