Restricted Spaces

• Hi All,

KRC4 KSS 8.6.5

I have an application where I am looking to restrict the robots movement inside a guarded space due to the fact that the robots reach is possible to extend past the guarding even though of course the path of the robot does not exit this guarded area it is still none the less possible if someone was to re teach a position or move the robot outside this area.

I need a wide range of movement on all axis of the robot so implementing hard stops is not an option, what I would look to do is implement a cartesian space the same as is possible in safeoperation or DCS in Fanuc.

Safeoperation has quite a few extras that I don't need and the reference switch is something that is a bit of an inconvenience for this even though I completely understand the reasoning behind it.

I have three questions as of now:

1. Why does Fanuc DCS configured monitoring spaces not require a reference switch?
    2. Could standard workspaces be used to undergo the same safety rated function with some code in the backend?
    3. If not is there a kuka option that I may have missed to have monitored safety spaces without the need for the reference switch?

Thank you in advance

• 1) I do not know. Maybe Fanuc uses safe absolute encoders?

2) no because these monitoring function are not safety rated

3) no. Because this would not be safe for Kuka. Only if you do not need safe Cartesian workspaces you could use SafeRangeMonitoring instead of safe operation. It's a bit cheaper if it is still sold by Kuka but I think reference switch is still needed to get safe axis positions.

• Hi,

Perhaps in the SPS.SUB you can create a signal that sends $POS_ACT to the PLC.

And on the PLC side you trigger a SAFETY STOP if the X or Y value is too much.

Something like this is discussed before: Monitor robot position through IO

Discussion and risks about doing this in the German Robot Forum... Chrome can translate: https://www.roboterforum.de/ro…6-sps-submit-schmiert-ab/

Edited once, last by Koppel ().

• ...restrict the robots movement inside a guarded space ....

... if someone was to re teach a position or move the robot outside this area....

I understand that this will not fulfill safety restrictions... only SafeOperation package will, and BOTTECH also knows this.

I thought BOTTECH wanted a solution where someone in T1 mode would not crash into the safety fence or adjust positions in a way that could do this.

• I understand that this will not fulfill safety restrictions... only SafeOperation package will, and BOTTECH also knows this.

I thought BOTTECH wanted a solution where someone in T1 mode would not crash into the safety fence or adjust positions in a way that could do this.

Thanks Koppel, I appreciate the input but yes HERMANN is correct.

What you have mentioned is definitely interesting though, we could take some aspects of that for in house development.

Advertising from our partners