kuka and siemens PLC S7-1200

• heloo friends!

I have a KUKA robot KR240-2700 2010 Daimler edition with KCP2-05 KSS V5.6.8B50 that I want to connect and control with a siemens PLC Simatic S7-1200. I want the robot to receive inputs from the sensors through the PLC and according to them to act.

I don't know how to make the connection between plc and robot and how to externally control the robot with the plc for it to start (like when you press the start / stop button or a sensor is activated). I need to know the steps( hardware and software connection) i need to do for it . Please help me if you know.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks for help! :top:

• Well, first, what communication options does your robot have installed? KRC2s all support DeviceNet natively, but any other FieldBus (ProfiBus, ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, etc) requires additional add-in hardware.

• I have no communication option installed on the robot . I think i need to install some for ethernet/ip for my PLC or not ?

Please tell me what to install and the steps to take.

• Sorry I was wrong its not Ethernet/IP communication is ProfiNet . So what I need to install for this ?

Thanks a lot !!

• If this robot came from Daimler, I'm almost sure that it has an Interbus card installed.

So, I'm seeing two options:

- Buy a KUKA ProfiNet card + driver and install it on Your KUKA, and I'm not sure if KUKA is still selling this options.

- Buy a Siemens Interbus adapter to use with You CPU. But I'm not sure if this model is compatible with an Interbus card. Anyway, I think this would be the "easier" path.

• Installing Profinet on a KRC2 requires a special KUKA adapter card that I'm not sure they even sell anymore. And the setup process is not for the faint of heart.

If your robot still has the Interbus card from Daimler, that might be the simplest option, if you can obtain an Interbus card for your PLC.

Honestly, though, DeviceNet might be the easiest option. DN is a bit old, but it's pretty simple (especially on the KRC) and you can find adapters for it just about anywhere, for any robot or PLC brand. Lots of I/O modules, too.

Advertising from our partners