Programming robot on PC

• Hi, how do you guys usually program the robot on the PC?

Programming robot through pendant is ridiculously time consuming (create PR, rename it, comment it, insert into program, change register, change number, change speed, change CNT....), I spent spent like half day creating super simple program.

I was able to export *.TP files with flash drive, but they can only be edited in Roboguide, then I have to edit them with teach pendant again?!? I had to save them to *.LS, edit in notepad, convert back, put on flesh drive.....

Thanks for help

• Normally I do all my programming using Roboguide. Then I dump them in and make small handshake changes, IO changes, whatever on the pendant. I can't stress enough: Memorizing the shortcuts is the key to efficient programming. For example, Menu, 6 (using the TP numpad) gets you to Setup...Menu, 0, 6 gets you to system...Function, 1 aborts all, Function, 0, 6 unsimulates all IO...When editing a program F5, 3, F2 will start your selection tool, then Item ### to where you want to select to (if its far and you know about the number) then F2 again to Copy...F5, 1, #, enter will input lines.

I think you get what I mean...memorizing keystrokes has made me a much more efficient programmer. Also people get a false sense of "This guy knows what he's friggin' doin", which is funny.

Oh and the same goes for on Roboguide as well. When you have the Virtual TP up, right click on one of the lower grey portions alongside the keypad section and choose "Show Key Map", this will then show you what PC keyboard buttons relate to what Virtual TP hardkey/softkey. Some are not shown like Alt+5 will bring up the Position screen, Alt+6 brings up IO, Alt+7 brings up the Status screen.

Once again: Learning keystrokes makes programming a FANUC robot much more efficient and enjoyable(?).

• Unfortunately I don't have a license for Roboguide.

I read something about ASCII upload, what is that?

Shortcut definitely makes programming easier, but still you have to press so many button. For example to rename PR I had to press ENTER, scroll down to Option/keyboard, F5, use touch to type name, Enter.

Now I would like to shift some PR registers around, that's going to take me an hour, as I have to move it around.

• Does Fanuc charge for the command-line utilities like MAKETP and KTRANS? Mine came with my RoboGuide license, I think.

I've been trying those out recently for compiling ASCII .LS and .KL files into executable .TP and .PC files that can be loaded into the robot.

"ASCII Upload" is, as I understand it, a paid option that has to be added to the robot.

• For naming of Registers, PRs, IO and such just use the Web Browser Comment Tool through a computer before you start programming.

Assuming you have a newer controller and know how to access and find the web browser.

• I do most programming on a PC in a text editor then compile with MakeTP.

If you have Ascii Upload (paid option per robot) you can directly load LS text files.

MakeTP comes with Roboguide. You can get a free trial of roboguide for 30 days. Then setup the MakeTP utility and keep using it without roboguide. However it will only work with the options selected and supported by a virtual robot you must initially create in Roboguide.

• Thanks for all ideas.

Web Browser Comment Tool is amazing, saves me lot of TP writing.

MakeTP is just exe file, which require some robot configuration file, it doesn't have GUI? Where do I get config file?

I will try Web Browser Comment Tool.

Edited 2 times, last by PetrBroza ().

• To use MakeTP:

1. Create a new workcell in roboguide, include all options you think you will want to use.

2. Save and close Roboguide and do not use that workcell for any other purpose.

3. Open cmd prompt and type: setrobot

4. Navigate through the setrobot menu and select the robot you just created.

5. It will generate a robot config file in your default directory. (Usually c:\users\yourname)

6. In cmd prompt you can now use maketp by specifying the ls file you want to compile. (maketp prog.ls).

Note: cmd prompt must be navigated to the folder that contains both the ls file and config file. You can move them into a new folder but make sure to use the cd command to select that folder in cmd prompt before running maketp.

Also, this can easily be scripted with a batch file to make it so you can just double click a script file and automatically compile all LS files in a folder.

It may look like a lot but trust me, once you have this set up correctly it is very fast and easy to use. If you have any syntax errors in your program it will also tell you the line number that the error occurred on. Most common mistake is to forget the colon and semicolons. Each line of code starts with a ':' and ends with a ';'. My advice is to create a simple, small program first in Roboguide or on the real robot then copy and paste the LS file to use as a template when writing your own programs. Also, on newer robots (R30) line numbers don't mater. The will get generated or regenerated when compiling. on RJ2 you have to have the correct line numbers in your LS file.

• There is no 'free' solution. Cheapest option would be to purchase the Ascii upload option. List price is about $500. Of course it would only work on that one robot you add the option to. Next cheapest option would be to purchase OLPCPro, which is similar to RoboGuide but has no graphical simulation of the workcell. I think that is in the range of a few thousand dollars.

If you really want a free option you need to get another free trial of either RoboGuide or OLPCPro.

• Thanks for answer.

I don't really understand Fanuc business model. I'm just trying to do very basic thing, edit files on PC so I'm not wasting time with horrendous user unfriendly pendant. I would not complain if it was working solution, like I can edit the code in robot straight in the PC, but I have to manually transfer it, convert, load again.

I extensively used ABB Robot studio. For $1000 a year, you get amazing software for simulating/offline programming/online programming, plus TP is very easy to use. Hopefully this was my last Fanuc.

• Fanuc tends to charge for every thing. Not many options are included for free. Authorized integrators can get discounts that make the pricing of RoboGuide more competitive. When you get a proper setup then programming becomes much better.

However, I do agree, that basic text editing should be free. They do have something in the works called iRProgrammer that looks like a promising text editor but currently it is only available on Scara robots.

• However, I do agree, that basic text editing should be free. They do have something in the works called iRProgrammer that looks like a promising text editor but currently it is only available on Scara robots.

I put three of these in and I ended up purchasing a TP to make it easier!

• I don't really understand Fanuc business model. I'm just trying to do very basic thing, edit files on PC so I'm not wasting time with horrendous user unfriendly pendant. I would not complain if it was working solution, like I can edit the code in robot straight in the PC, but I have to manually transfer it, convert, load again.

Ahh Fanuc, the Spirit Airlines of the robotics world.

I believe they use this model as a way to sneak past the bean counters and get into plants. Bean counter sees that Fanuc is the cheapest out of the major players, so they go with that. Once the robot is on site, only then does the customer find out that they need another $15K in options (which are not discounted, thanks to being bought after the initial sale!) to do what they want the robot to do. I've had this conversation with many of my customers, and every time it is not pleasant. I wish Fanuc would change their business model, because in my mind it is pretty scummy.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• For you and anyone who is trying to find out how to use the Web Browser Comment Tool:

- Give your Robot an IP address on an unused Port under Menu -> 6 (Setup) -> Host Comm -> TCP/IP Detailed Setup

- Plug in an ethernet cable from the port you set an IP for and then into your laptop

- Open up your favorite web browser

- Type in the IP Address you assigned to the robot's port into the address bar of the web browser

- From the robot home page, navigate to Robot Tools -> Comment Tool -> Obvious from here on where to go...

If you cannot access anything, check under Menu -> 6 (Setup) -> Host Comm -> HTTP (HTTP Authentication). iPendant should be set to U (Unlock) in the far left column. Though sometimes, FANUC is just FANUC and doesn't allow me to get to one or two comment pages randomly just because - still haven't figured that one out...

Best of luck

Advertising from our partners