Track Rack And Pinion

• We purchased a robot and track from a second hand robot supplier, the robot is an irb6400r s4c and the track seems to be an IRBT6004. The robot was made in the year 2002 however the track seems to be a newer version made in 2014. the track also seems be be made up from several different tracks as there are stickers on some sections saying IRBT6004 and then on others IRBT7004 and then on others IRBT4004. From what I can tell the sections of track seem to be the same no matter what sticker is on them.

the difference I have found is in the rack itself that the pinion drives on. I have found two different types there is one type that measures 54mm from the base of the rack to the top of the teeth and there is another that is 55mm. This seems to be giving me issues with back lash and unwanted movement. I have attached a photo of both types below

Does anyone know which is the correct size to be use? Iv laid the two on top of other with the teeth meshing and the pitch seems to to be the same for both types.

• Not sure why there is a difference since it's the same part # for the rail on IRBT4004, 6004 & 7004. The tooth profile, spacing and distance from the back determines the gear mesh. The length of the tooth may be a difference in vendors.

I would make sure it's not alignment & leveling - those can be a bugger to get right. Another possibility is a twisted or bent rail. Heard plenty of stories from paint folks about lost time trying to install systems during shutdown where the rails got tweaked during handling.

• I contacted ABB direct and they got back saying it should be the 55mm one, the 54mm versions seems to have a different surface finish and they seem to have a slacker tolerance. My guess is either somebody tried to modify original ones to remove defects or else they are a badly made china remake.

We have booked a cnc machine installer to come out and relevel the track again however he cant come for another 3 weeks. So I am trying to do what I can to improve it until he comes.

Advertising from our partners