FANUC Robot - PC: Communication protocols

• The software on our side (FTS) has camming/gearing functionalities, which makes it possible to rectify this inaccuracy over a CamTable ( hermann)

However, the data does indeed need to come in faster to improve synchronization. There is already a connection to FANUC's web server via TCP/IP. Nevertheless, we would like to explore the possibility of master-slave communication using R648: User Socket Msg. The license is on the controller (R30iA Mate). Furthermore, the controller does not contain a KAREL license ( Famous_Fella).

Your best bet would be using KAREL Socket Messaging function to send and recieve positional data to and from the robot with .csv file manipulation

Is there any information I could find on Socket Messaging R648?

Note: This involves reading out the position data of the robot into a python program.

• The software on our side (FTS) has camming/gearing functionalities, which makes it possible to rectify this inaccuracy over a CamTable ( hermann)

However, the data does indeed need to come in faster to improve synchronization. There is already a connection to FANUC's web server via TCP/IP. Nevertheless, we would like to explore the possibility of master-slave communication using R648: User Socket Msg. The license is on the controller (R30iA Mate). Furthermore, the controller does not contain a KAREL license ( Famous_Fella).

Is there any information I could find on Socket Messaging R648?

in the above link you will find what you need:

http://therobotguyllc.com/downloads/

I have not developed nor maintained the above site and I am not connected to the author by any way. This is the manual you need and I found it using google service for the sole purpose of not giving you the manual myself as it is forbiden by fanuc. Chapter 11 goes in debth about Socket Messaging and how to use it.

Here you can also check an implementation with Karel Socket messaging and a vision application. There is also Karel code you can study Socket messaging implementation between a vision system and a Fanuc robot.

https://docs.pickit3d.com/en/2…grations/fanuc/index.html

Good luck!

• Hid my advice and refrain from using the Robot as a client being fed with positional data to move to. Instead use it as a server and feed its positional data as variables accepted by your FTS system to calculate its next movement. The reason behind this has already been mentioned:
    1) you don't need to cripple your robot's motion planner and look-ahead functions
    2) latency will introduce heavy motion judder, stops, and errors
    3) Its a lot easier to rely on the fact that the robot is a machine with great repeatability factors (and not so great accuracy factors). Program a good path, use strict control logic and the programmed path will have an almost perfect repeatability. Then rely on this fact to accurately program your FTS system since there is already a hardware cam implementation which dramatically raises its accuracy.

4) It is a lot easier to program a linear system to follow a six-axis system than the opposite.

Always when designing a new system my design approach is as follows:

1) Identify the main parts that will form your machine. (Robot, FTS system, conveyor etc)
    2) Brake them into smaller parts or segments. (Robot = robot manipulator+controller+vision system?, FTS system cam sensors controll mode (PC/PLC), Conveyor system (motor inverters maybe, electrovalve actuators).
    3) Try to make a list of all your variables. I mean, logical system variables.
    4) Try to convert as many variables as possible into constants with your main goal being your system's robustness, integrity, repeatability.

In your project the first thing I would convert to constants, are the facts that your FTS has great built in hardware tools towards accuracy where as your robot has all the tools you need towards repeatability. Those 2 advantages combined together would be my building blocks for a system that relies on syncronized movement.

I would still prefer the Fanuc built-in functions, but by all means I dont want to discourage you. after all evolution comes with trial and error and your project is surely doable.

Advertising from our partners