Trying to Disconnect and Reconnect Ethernet IO Block When Changing tools

• Hello,

I am using a KUKA KRC4 Quantec 2, and I have a material handler robot with several different end effectors. Each of these end effectors have a IO Block on them for the valves and sensors, connected via Ethernet/IP. In auto, when the robot disconnects one end effector, the communication drop causes the robot to lose auto. In Fanuc there is an Ethernet Configuration setting called "Reconnect" and "Quick Connect" that will ignore the communication timeout for that specific device this setting is meant for tool changers. How can I do this with the Kuka?

Regards,

• when configuring EthernetIP with WoV:

1. assign unique "connection number" for slave node (under slave Device Properties)

2. enable quick connect (under slave Configuration settings)

then you can use that number to couple/decouple node by program using IOCTL(), for example slave you want to couple/decouple was assigned connection number 7...

you will need to lookup exact name of the EIP scanner in diagnostics (usually "EIP-SCANNER"), parameter value 50 is used for coupling, value 60 is used for decoupling

then in your program you get something like this:

Code
    DECL INT result

; couple EIP slave 7
    result = IOCTL("EIP-SCANNER",50,7)

; decouple EIP slave 7
    result = IOCTL("EIP-SCANNER",60,7)

result values are:

0 : success

1 : failure due to timeout

2 : failure due to invalid parameter

-1 : any other failure

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Use QuickConnect on KUKA KR C4 V8.3.x with EthernetIP V2.0.3

I searched in the Forum, but didn't found what I look for.

Problem:

To improve cycle time, I need to make sure that I can use QuickConnect EthernetIP devices on Tool changers. I have around 20 robots, that I try to improve.

Solution:

Looking trough manuals of KUKA, Turck, Balluff, SMC, I need to either enable QuickConnect under Device, Exclusive Owner, Configuration settings or I need to use Explicit messaging.

Like the Turck Device, you just activate it and you're done.

But other devices like SMC don't show this tab and according to their manual, you have to enable it using explicit messaging.

I need a solution that works:

Following all the required steps, I end up that I am not able to go online with EthernetIP. Even though I connect my Laptop to the KLI, ping all necessary addresses successful and change the settings for EthernetIP, I just get

KUKA has been no help so far.

Anybody ever got Online with EthernetIP in WorkVisual?

I used WV V4. and V6.

• 20 robots, using 20 different types/brands of I/O? was this some charity donation?

Solution1:

I need to use Explicit messaging.

Solution2:

Turck Device, you just activate it and you're done.

so you already have two solutions.... what is the problem?

I need a solution that works

that is the very definition of solution - something that works. you already have two so what is the problem?

KUKA has been no help so far.

can you be more specific? who and what exactly did you ask? if you tell that you have multiple solutions, why would they spend more time on you when others need help too? and if you ask for assistance coupling of for 20 brands, nobody has time for that. be specific, ask about one thing. if you asked for an example for explicit message, over EIP did they share it or not? according to KUKA user documentation and training manual on EIP there is no mention of explicit message. I know that it is possible +(and i have seen an example few years ago) but it is not advertised.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• 20 robots, using 20 different types/brands of I/O? was this some charity donation?

No. I have these robots in different Production lines. The tools are unique based on the requirements of the individual tool. E.g. One EOAT uses a Balluff IO Link with a Schmalz Vacuum pump, versus the other one use SMC to actuate clamps.

so you already have two solutions.... what is the problem?

I need solution 1 to work

can you be more specific? who and what exactly did you ask? if you tell that you have multiple solutions, why would they spend more time on you when others need help too? and if you ask for assistance coupling of for 20 brands, nobody has time for that. be specific, ask about one thing. if you asked for an example for explicit message, over EIP did they share it or not? according to KUKA user documentation and training manual on EIP there is no mention of explicit message. I know that it is possible +(and i have seen an example few years ago) but it is not advertised.

I guess I need to re-phrase, Solution 1, is according to the manual the solution, but I can't get it to work. I asked the Focus Center to help me to get online with EthernetIP, but so far nothing worked.

Procedure Point #2 is not working!

Screenshot is out of the manual:

• also from the manual:

you don't mention what part of the procedure#2 does not work for you... but i am guessing it is because your target device is not an EIP scanner (master), it is adapter (slave).

3) read 1 and 2

• you don't mention what part of the procedure#2 does not work for you... but i am guessing it is because your target device is not an EIP scanner (master), it is adapter (slave).

Very interesting panic mode. My documentation "Issued: 11.03.2013 Version: KR C4 EtherNet/IP 2.0 V2 en (PDF)" does not show that it is limited to the EIP Scanner. Please provide info which Version of documentation you used.

What doesn't work for me is even after changing the EthernetIP Settings, to match my configuration, the Context-menu button <<Connect>> doesn't establish Online mode EthernetIP.

• this was from newer document, EIP3.1 for KSS8.5. it shows some things in more detail... when things don't work, it never hurts to check other versions.

not all slaves (adapters) support quick connect but if they do, quickconnect settings should be configurable per commands in post 5 by hermann. another thing worth try is to see if the slave supports configuration through web interface. just enter IP address of the device inyour webbrowser and see if there is page with diagnostics/config etc.

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks for your help!

I looked up V1.x that didn't support it at all. Believing in documentation V2.x should work, but like said I even can't get online. The Balluff and SMC devices are able to support Quick Connect at least according to their manual. But they want the explicit messaging to set 1 or 2 attributes. Another Turck device I have allows Quick Connect in WV. The Web interface on Balluff, SMC doesn't have an option to enable it....

I guess the only way to get it working, is to activate the attributes with Rockwell software, hoping that ownership is no problem!

• or try to get Explicit EIP message program example from KUKA... this should allow you to send parameters to some EIP node by KRL program, rather than manually scanning bus etc.

btw. like various other limitations KRC does not like to share ownership. slaves need to be owned either by KRC or PLC. in general, limitations are quite common when it comes to supported fieldbus featured in products that are not made by company that stands behind that fieldbus development. if you need full featured ProfiNet, stick with Siemens, if you need full featured EthernetIP, stick with AB. if you need full featured CC Link, stick with Mitsubishi, if you need full featured EtherCat stick with Beckhoff etc. others may support one of more fieldbuses but their implementations will likely focus on some core functionality and full feature support may come much later.

this is why some things may be challenge to get working. for example CipSafety or FSoE with KRC and Omron safety PLC, quick connect, using various Beckhoff modules on KEB (CanBus, EthernetIP, motion control ...) etc.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners