MOULDING MACHINE and WORKSPACE DEFINITION

• Hi! this is my first job with Moulding Machine and Robot.There are two signals, mould area free and enable mould closure, to interlock the moulding machine. Are worspace definition useful to manage those two signals or at least the area free? I've seen some program that use triggers on kuka program to manage these signals. Before the robot start to enter into the machine they turn OFF area free and when the robot is outside tey turn the signal back ON. The enable colure is usually OFF since the robot is ended the operation and it is outside then the signal is turned on and only when the moulding machine has completed it's closure and is opened again this signal is reset.

It is not more coherent use worspace definition for the signal area free? Since an operator could move the robot in a wrong position and the signal area free could stay TRUE...

• It depends on your priorities. In some press-linking systems I built, in order to maximize cycle rate, the robots "fired" the press while they were still inside, on their way out. The Trigger commands were optimized to close the press as early as possible, with the robot just barely "escaping" the collision. However, if the robot was halted by any even after the Trigger command, a nasty collision could result -- the end effectors were built to be nearly disposable, deliberately, for this situation.

However, that project prioritized maximizing speed over nearly anything else.

If your highest priority is guaranteed "zone" signals, protected against stupid operator mistakes, then yes, the WorkSpace signals may be the best choice. They're not infallible, however -- the Cartesian WorkSpace signals are vulnerable to the active $TOOL values, for example. The most robust WorkSpace signals are the Axis WorkSpace (zero ambiguity), but it's hard to set those up for a rectangular workspace. So, it's a tradeoff between your requirements and what the WorkSpace configuration can actually achieve.

• Optionally KUKA Safe Operation could add another level of redundancy to the process' depending on the priorities of the application. make a big difference if the robot wrist is inside harms way.

• Thanks guys... my main concern now is that workspace definition is depending on wich tool is selected. This adds something that I don't like. Is it possible to force it to consider always the flange pont instead of tool?

• or just don't use Cartesian workspace... if you stick with Axis specific workspaces, there is no tool involved regardless how old the KSS version

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi! Here is KSS 8.3.39

In the manual I found that flange is always included... "Cartesian workspace: The defined output is set if the TCP or flange is located inside the workspace".

This make cartesian workspace useless... if I'm not wrong...

I could achieve the same thing reading the current tool and cartesian position and verify if it is inside a difined area...

• Hi, I'll jump into this thread with my question as well. I've been working on one project with euromap 67 and I came across that "mold area free" signal and from my understanding it is kind of safety signal?? But why it is wired through standard signals? In manual for euromap 67 it is described as two separate signals mold area free channel 1 and channel 2. Do ye know the purpose of that and how it should be implemented (I mean proper way)?

• EuroMap 67 interface has a mix of safety and standard signals. Any time standard IO is used instead of safety IO, safety level is educed to a mere handshake.

Whether or not that is justified depends on construction and if permitted by standards. For example issuing "mold area free" signal in wrong time means that robot arm could get crushed by the mold. If rest of the safeguards are in place this does not put humans in harms way and therefore may be tolerable - for example if you don't mind expensive hardware replacements or repairs in case of a crash... or if that is factored into production costs because programmer may tweak workspaces to get fastest cycle time.

here is an example of interface as implemented on some KUKAs.

one could use SafeOperation of course and make this safer

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• OK I agree that KUKA safe operation is there for something like this. One could use light barriers either. My point is... let's take the case of a cartesian robot (axes robot). Since it's movements are restricted based on it's position we can assign signal that, in a non safe (for humans) eviornment, could tell us that the robot is out of a certain area. I was looking for something like this. Workspace is the closest thing out of the box. It's submission to wich tool is currently selected in a non unique way is small problem

Advertising from our partners