XRC - Tool Data modification

• Is it possible to modify tool data from variable data or similar?

We have an external application reading & writing data, but really would like to modify the tool data.

The preference is to be able to modify tool data individually similar to variable/position data, rather than the complete file set if possible.

The application is best suited to tool usage, but will require the end-user to be able to modify the tool parameters.

If this cannot be done, we will have to do the calculations inside the job (which is not an issue, but just adds something that the controller should be doing natively.)

• Not on XRC. Anything newer, yes. The changing of tool data would need to be done manually or by creating the data in the TOOL.CND file and loaded into the controller.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• Not on XRC. Anything newer, yes. The changing of tool data would need to be done manually or by creating the data in the TOOL.CND file and loaded into the controller.

Thanks,

I guess it be the manual calculation method then, as writing to the file seems too much work based on what else we have to do unless a single index can be written. to the .cnd file..?

• Not sure what a single index is. I've done projects where through some software program I calculate the tool data. This software will then write a single tool in the proper format of a TOOL.CND and download into the controller.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• Not sure what a single index is. I've done projects where through some software program I calculate the tool data. This software will then write a single tool in the proper format of a TOOL.CND and download into the controller.

Single Index = Single Tool :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:.

If I interpret you comment correctly, writing a single tool element would be possible...

I will give it a test to see what it renders.

• So I managed to get a single tool element updated :thumbs_up:.

Now the next challenge with this controller, is to select between tools inside a job or turn the tool on & off, if possible.?

The other method would be to use multiple jobs, which is part of the consideration anyway.

• There is a purchased option for two tools. Paint applications use it all the time.

Is that the S2C parameter for Tool No. Switching? If so, that is enabled but I cannot change the tool when in the job editing.

• No, not multiple tool. Doc is talking about about the option (TCP Function) that uses the TCPON and TCPOF instructions.

To change which tool is active for jogging or teaching positions, press and hold SHIFT then press the COORD key. Cursor to desired tool. Press and hold SHIFT to go back to the previous screen.

• No, not multiple tool. Doc is talking about about the option (TCP Function) that uses the TCPON and TCPOF instructions.

Ok, so that is a FD parameter. Will have a look at that today.

To change which tool is active for jogging or teaching positions, press and hold SHIFT then press the COORD key. Cursor to desired tool. Press and hold SHIFT to go back to the previous screen.

yeah, have worked that part out :smiling_face:

In the job editor, the tool no is displayed as the line changes.

Assume it is not possible to change this with this model?

• Would the GETTOOL / SETTOOL be applicable for this? For example Toolsight allows for modification of a tool file based on feedback from the shifted position after searching in the XY laser crosshairs (usually used for bent welding torch).

• Would the GETTOOL / SETTOOL be applicable for this? For example Toolsight allows for modification of a tool file based on feedback from the shifted position after searching in the XY laser crosshairs (usually used for bent welding torch).

I don't think that is available on the XRC controller that we have.

Enabling the FD parameter for TCP enabled the TCPON/TCPOF instructions & selection of different tool sets.

As I have already tested updating the tool file , I should be able to make this work.

Just need to find the time to get back to it..

It would work great but this option did not come out until the NX100 controller.

Advertising from our partners