Shared Folder and KONI

• Hi Guys!

Controller KRC4 Compact, KSS 8.6, KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface 3.0 and KUKA.DirectoryLoader 3.0

I would need to ask you for a simple question.

We want to configure this controller with 2 separate network (2 different IP adresses), using both KLI and KONI

The first network will go with the KLI. We will communicate with a PLC by Profinet. So far so good.

For the SECOND Network, we would like to use the KONI, in order to share a folder with an external PC. The PC will send to the shared folder KRL files (produced with a CAD/CAM software), then the robot will take them with Kuka.DirectoryLoader

Have we thought about it correctly or maybe we have to think it differently?

Thank you very much for your time

• I used a small hack: take the KONI network interface from VxWorks, and return it to Windows by removing the Realtime driver and then manually installing the native network interface driver (Intel).

• The KONI interface is officially only for KUKA Vision option packages. All other external network access is supposed to be done through the KLI. You configure multiple virtual network interfaces in the robot, but they all share the physical KLI port.

I done a lot of KRC4s this way. The KLI will easily support ProfiNet or EtherNet/IP in parallel with SMB file transfers, and WorkVisual access.

• Thank you for your replies, but I don't get it yet...

If the KONI is only for vision applications, what is the purpose of the KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface software add-on? The manual of this package states:

The KONI (KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface) is a physical interface of the robot controller for non-real-time communication to and from the outside world. It is suitable, for example, for creating or loading backups. The software package KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface is required for activating and configuring the physical interface.

Also, the manual states that if you have KUKA.VisionTech you cannot install KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface and viceversa...

Seems to me that you can use the KONI for transferring files to the KRC4... what do you think?

• The problem we have is that the final customer want to physically separate (different switches) the Profinet and the pure ethernet for transferring files. How can you do this with only the KLI?

• never tried it but i think this is more recent option that allows reconfiguring KONI be used as windows interface if no VisionTech is used.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• using only KLI does not prevent you from separating ProfiNet and Windows.

KLI interface Virtual5 would be used for ProfiNet, and one can add additional virtual adapter (Virtual6) and make it Windows interface.

both ca be configured independently (sperate network settings) but would still be present on same physical interface since KLI has just one port.

to make them really separate, one would need to connect it to a managed switch and of course configure it...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Seems to me that you can use the KONI for transferring files to the KRC4... what do you think?

Yes, you can.

I use KONI almost every working day to transfer files via SMB, as well as to connect to my network applications or remote desktop.

Even WorkVisual finds the control system through KONI, although I haven't tried to work with it fully.

I have already described how to achieve this.

It's a weekend and I can't take a screenshot from a real system because it's at my work.

But I will try to clarify it again. You can see several devices in the Device Manager under "Network Adapters".

One of them is KONI with the "wrong" driver.

All you need to do is to initiate the driver update process and specify the path to one of the folders on disk D where the "correct" driver lies.

It will have the word "Intel" in its name because all network interfaces in the motherboard of the control system are built on Intel chips.

After that, a normal network device will appear in Windows with the ability to specify an IP address, subnet mask, and gateway.

But be careful, the control system's firewall is disabled by default.

And I am not sure that you can turn it on because there is a lot of service network exchange going on in the system.

All this makes the system vulnerable to external network attacks through KONI.

• Thank you all for your replies.

VDm, I would prefer not to modify the KONI drivers, unless forced, and stay with the KUKA options. But if you can post some screenshot whenever you can, it would be most appreciated.

I hope that the KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface will do the trick for me. After all, it was recommended to us by the Kuka Service... I don't have much faith in them anyway, since they hadn't even told me about the Kuka.DirectoryLoader (which is really necessary if you want to automatically import KRL files from a shared folder inside the R1/Programs automatically and without errors) and I had to find out myself (in this forum)...

• popezmark,

You have the exact two options to automatically do exactly what you want without Hacking the KONI.
    KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface 3.0 will give you access to set the IP address of the KONI from the SmartPAD just like the KLI.
    KUKA.DirectoryLoader 3.0 will give you the option to setup and configure the control of the files loaded via the network so you can load them via KRL code without restarting the robot.

You will need to make the folder visible to your network and work with your IT requirements/restrictions. KUKA.OptionalNetworkInterface 3.0 will allow you to give windows access to the KONI network. KUKA.DirectoryLoader 3.0 will allow the KRL code to update and access files you transfer via the network. Your network sharing of a folder needs to be configured in windows. (sharing, rights, permissions) - IP address / hardware configured and controlled in the KUKA HMI software on the SmartPAD.

Regards

JT

Advertising from our partners