SCARA generic torque calculation

• Hello everyone,

I have the following need, please consider that I am a computer scientist.

One customer ask for a tool to retrieve the motors that they need in order to move a SCARA robot.

Input values will be: Dimensions, degrees of freedom, center of gravity, desired acceleration,desired speed. and possible configurations.

Output value: Maximum torque, Inertia matrix (maybe this is an input...?)

Basically, they create SCARA robot from scratch, so they need to know the cheaper combination of motor they need, starting from a list of given tasks.

Feel free to ask for details or correct me, again, I'm just a computer scientist with no experience in robots, except few interfaces with FANUC or RobotStudio.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Simone.

• shaking my head... i guess it is a new generation of people in management positions...

so ... they want magic calculator of sorts, something allowing them to enter few parameters and push big button. then this 'calculator' does some number crunching, get complete BOM, with itemized pricing, total cost figure and have everything placed into online shopping cart. while at it, perhaps it could also do electrical and mechanical design, as well as develop control software? am i close? :winking_face:

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Panic Mode, you're almost right :grinning_squinting_face:.

They're new in the job, the request is a tool to calculate the maximum torque starting from few parameters and tasks.

With the maximum torque they can choose the cheper available motor to do the job.

I have a 3d software that they can use to create the parts, the only idea I found is to use my software and let it talk with MatLab/Robotic toolbox, a tool I found on the web that should work, but is completely out of my knowledge.

No BOM/Programming/Design, but the tool should be able to prepare coffee too :smiling_face:

• create internet spider to collect motors (pricing, torque etc) and put it all into a database.

then use query like

SQL
    SELECT TOP 1 FROM Motors WHERE Torque>=@torq ORDER BY Price;

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• The available motors should not be a problem.

What about the first point?

They're new in the job, the request is a tool to calculate the maximum torque starting from few parameters and tasks.

Is there any tool to do that? or some guidelines to develop it. I can develop it, but I need to understand which formula to use.

• a lot of people with access to basic tools like CNC and welder have seen someone program PLCs. then after watching movies like Iron Man get a thought, why not make own Jarvis or a robot. all i can tell them, go ahead and find out...

not sure what the expectations are but forum is primarily place to exchange ideas, it is a supplement but not a substitute for formal education (formal training takes time and effort, it goes in depth on given topics).

single axis calculation is very simple as it involves Newtonian motions. i would suggest to keep things modular and let user figure it out.

for example for inertia just offer input box so they can enter value. they can get that from CAD. if you like, create an "estimator" that allows quick and dirty computation of inertia using common shapes.

parameter for degrees of freedom would only make sense when kinematic chain is known. here math becomes significantly more complex. not sure if this is true but my impression is that science programs today (unlike engineering) do not go into Calculus or maybe just scratch the surface.

the point is, doing analysis that is based only on software modeling of something complex requires in depth knowledge and experience. making prototypes is not a waste of time, quite contrary, it is used as a learning opportunity, sanity check and validation that theory and expectations are actually met in the real world.

3) read 1 and 2

• Thanks panic mode.

Basically, I have the same your concerns.

I think I can handle torque calculations.

I guessed that this is not the right place to ask this, but I had to try, sorry about that.

If I can take advantage of your time, I'd like to ask you, as last favor, a link to some explanation about inertia matrix. (the one you sent about torque is quite clear).

Thanks again.

• https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ae…tes/MIT16_07F09_Lec26.pdf

or

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners