Writing KRL programs on Linux

• Hi!

Are there anyone developing KRL programs on Linux? If so I am interested in hearing about your workflow.

- How do you transfer files to / from the controller?

- How do you debug / test your programs (since KUKA software is Windows only)?

- Offline programming with OfficeLite / KUKA.Sim possible in any way?

Thanks for any tips! :smiling_face:

• It should not be a big issue:

1. develop on any editor that gives you syntax highlighting.

2. send the files with USB sticks or via ethernet.

3. debug and test directly on the robot.

Remember you can't copy files directly in the "program" folder as they won't be understood as a program unless you completely shut the robot cabinet down.

Given you have a windows OS installed in the robot controller, you can install there any FTP solution VNC... that could help you to perform those tasks easier.

In case you don't want to do it directly on the robot:

1. install a virtual machine with windows software.

2. install all kuka software (with licences) there.

3. edit + debug there.

4. send the programs using the ethernet or USB sticks.

Hope this helps.

• For years I used Ubuntu on my main machine, but I used the virtual machine route. WorkVisual, KUKA.Load and everything else installed on a Windows VM.

On the code part itself, any good text editor will do the job.

VIsual Studio Code has some KRL syntax highlighters on its store, and there is also a Ultraedit version for Linux (although I prefer Notepad++). And, of course, You have all traditional *nix text editors. I think we have some vimmers on this forum.

This is one of the beauties of KUKA system. Systems are mostly text based, so on most cases You won't need any special software to look inside a backup or make some development.

• Thank you very much for your tips! :smiling_face: I thought about using Vim myself, there is a KRL syntax plugin which seems interesting :smiling_face: Any success on using VirtualBox instead of VMWare? I guess not since OfficeLite is very picky about VMWare version

• OfficeLite (for KRC4) really should be used with VMware, since it was designed this way. But You can use VMware Player, wich is lighter than VMware Workstation - or whatever name it has today. But pay attention to VMware version. Sometimes, OL will not run on latest and greatest VMware, I don't know why. On this forum we have some reports on this situation.

Other software runs under VirtualBox flawlessly. WorkVisual, KUKA.Load, and even OfficeLite for KRC2.

The advantage of making a VM is that You have a portable work environment.

• Thank you very much! Too bad VMWare Player does not support saving snapshots. It would save some time if I could save a snapshot with eg. OfficeLite running and a separate VM with WorkVisual running. Snapshots are only supported in the Pro version of VMWare. However, buying VMWare may not be such a bad idea since it is a great tool :smiling_face: I could use snapshots in VirtualBox for WorkVisual.

Anyway! Thanks again! :smiling_face:

• KSS 8.3.OL and KSS 8.6.OL (this is what I tested) works together with vmware workstation V15.1 and latest version of windows 10.

It will not work with vmware workstation 15.5

I think, that this problem was indroduced by microsoft with the update of window 10 (1909?) and could not be solved by vmware.

The update of windows 10 (latest version) did also not solve this problem - still having problem with vmware workstation 15.5.

I do not know whether vmware wants to make money out of it, but they made changes to vmware workstation and now calling it v16.0 => you have to buy an upgrade?!

Does someone is using linux and vmware 15.5? Do you have the same problem?

Advertising from our partners