Cylindrical robot replacement

• I have a zymark xp robot and i need to change it,it, It's for a fabric factory, The robot picks the fabric sample and put it in a testing chamber to test the light leakage of different chemicals.

I searched for Cylindrical robot but it's over my budget so Can i replace zymark with a scara robot?
    That samples need to enter the chamber room in straight line , Can scara make a linear or straight line motion

Sample weight about 500 grams

Minimum Stroke 30 CM

Maximum Stroke 60 CM

Minimum reach 46 cm
    Maximum reach 70 cm

1st sample height is 31 cm from ground

• US$ 15k? I would have suggested a Universal Robots arm, but even on EBay I don't see them going for less than $25k.

Of course, I'm not sure you can get a new SCARA for less that $25k. I found several on EBay for under $10k, but those are all used, and outdated -- they could be difficult to keep running.

Plus you'll need some budget for an end effector, and integration costs.

Most SCARA robots can make linear motions, though I'm sure there must be some cheap ones on the market that skimp on that feature.

• Ok i will try to rise my budget and I found Denso Scara for 11k but end effector was not rotating so it was a problem.
    Universal robots arm or Scara is my best choose?

• I found Denso Scara for 11k but end effector was not rotating so it was a problem.

The end effector needs to rotate? You didn't mention that -- on what axis/axes does it need to rotate?

The UR would definitely be capable of rotating into almost any orientation, but it may not be fast -- what kind of speed does this application require? SCARAs and "cylinder" robots are often much faster than articulated arms, due to their simpler kinematics.

Also, how much reach do you need? Some of those SCARAs (particularly the ones made for semiconductor fabrication) are very fast, but also very small, with reaches as small as 400mm in some cases. So whatever robot you look at, make sure to check the entire reach envelope.

The Denso SCARA might actually work for your application -- if all you need is a simple 180-deg flip on the end effector, you could probably add a simple actuator to the end effector to handle that.

Advertising from our partners