Scanning a workpiece with the UR10e

• Hi,

I would like to use the force / torque sensor of a UR10e to scan the position of a workpiece with the help of my tool. The workpiece is fixed and cannot move. I would like to implement this with the stop condition on tool contact. I've already tested this and it works, but not really good. The problem is, my tool isn't really rigid and it bends easily. It consists of thin-walled copper pipe. Now it sometimes happens that the robot does not recognize the workpiece, simply moves on and bends the tool beyond the elastic range.

What options do I have to make the control of the robot more sensitive here?

• AD
  • You don't mention any parameters so I'm guessing what you're doing and how.

When using force sensing on our UR10e, I found that the slower I go the better results I get. Turn your speed down around 10 and accel to 250 to start, then play around from there.

Of course, if you are probing a lot of air it will take a bit longer to run, but you should get better results.

Reality 101:

Have X+Y = Man

Have X+X = Woman

2+2 = 4

Earth + Shape = Round

Lives + Matter = All

• Hi,

thank you for your replay.

I have already tested very low speeds up to 1 mm/s with accelerations about 10 mm/s^2. I will test it with greater accelerations.

The tool is U-shaped and should be positioned centrally around a pipe. Apart from the manufacturing tolerances, the robot already knows where the pipe is. Due to the manufacturing tolerances, the tool is then not exactly centered around the pipe. I want to use the stop condition on tool contact to position the tool more precisely. The pipe diameter is 16 mm and the inner tool diameter is 18,5 mm. So i can only probing a lot of air in one direction. The air in the other direction is only between about 0.5 and 1.5 mm.

• You're welcome, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'm relatively new to robots so my experience is very limited.

Sounds like you are using the side of the tool to probe with and getting too much "flex" in the thin walled copper pipe, correct?

What if you switched to probe axially along the copper pipe? There is exponentially more rigidity axially than laterally.

You could use Direction Z- until contact, retract, increment in X or Y and repeat.

You could also use the Force wizard and apply X and Y moves while pushing in Z, which will give similar results by may not work if the pressure on the part is too much.

The UR's can also be controlled via scripts, so another option is someone with vastly more knowledge than myself might have a scripted example of how to do this.

Reality 101:

Have X+Y = Man

Have X+X = Woman

2+2 = 4

Earth + Shape = Round

Lives + Matter = All