Fanuc R-J3iB from automotive (2nd user re-purposing)

• Hi everyone

I am very lost with Fanuc's options and locations regarding field IO and wonder if someone offer a recommendation.

A client of mine has just purchased a number of R-J3IB Controllers and R2000iA 210F arms from an automation plant being decommissioned and they all have devicenet installed.

So assumption is that these systems were all hooked up to devicenet PLC's.

My client only wants to use a small amount of IO, maybe only 8 inputs and 8 outputs and doesn't really want to spend money/resource in having to buy a PLC to communicate.

Therefore, they are looking at removing the devicenet boards and fitting a basic hardwired IO interface.

This is where I am confused.

The cabinet itself is small, compact with no room at all (reference the attached images).

Reference the images below.

Are there any IO boards available that can be plugged into any of the 'circled' slots that could provide the hardwired IO interface?

If so, can anyone direct me to a specific manual I could locate this information (not provide the manual, but which manual this information is likely to be in if such a board exists).

Any comments or information would be very much appreciated.............:top:

• Is the second picture the inside of your upper or lower cabinet? Can you post a picture of the inside of the other cabinet? I'm not aware of any I/O options that interface on or near the CPU, but I have a couple of R-J3s with a similar looking upper cabinet, which is where my Model A I/O is mounted.

• My client has just finished for the day, I'll get them to grab an image of the other cabinet(s) but it won't be till tomorrow now...........:bur2:

I believe there was a servo spot weld gun attached to this and think there are 3 cabinets in total (stacked on each other).

So I assume:

1. Is the Controller Cabinet.

2. Is the External Axis and 'other' cabinet.

3. Is the Transformer Cabinet.

But from what you say, this is leaning towards an IO module to be fitted in the other cabinet and not in the main controller cabinet - am I reading correct?

• Yeah, my upper cabinet has the operator panel (ESTOP button, START/STOP, RESET buttons, etc), which is all obviously mounted to the door and looks much like this one. Inside that cabinet, it just has a model A I/O rack. It's been a while since I had one of those open, but I really can't think of anything else that is in that cabinet. Everything else is in the lower.

• Yes.

I'm looking in the R-J3iB Controller Maintenance Manual and it appears to be the 'A Cabinet' version.

Which consists of 2 cabinets.

This is why I assume the 3rd (which they have) is related to the external axis, and therefore will probably have the physical space to add hardware to.

Would be nice if either the Main board or PSU had the option of a simple plug in IO board though, but from what I can gather, the only option is on PSU unit for fieldbus modules.

So, with what you're saying, looks like it would require a Model A IO rack mounted in the other cabinet then?

• Is there an issue with just using the DeviceNet the robots came with? Assuming that these robots were rigged to act as DN Master/Scanner devices, and not just as Slave/Device modules, it should be pretty simple to just buy some off-the-shelf DN I/O modules, and connect them to the robots. You'll need the DeviceNet cable, terminating resistors, and 24VDC power for the DN bus, but this might allow you to get cheap I/O without needing to make any changes to the Fanuc cabinets.

The key question would be what version of DN the robots have installed (Slave Only, or Master and Slave). That question I can't help with much, being in the same boat as you for Fanuc experience. But I think if you make a full backup of the robot, I think that the Summary.DG file lists the robot installed options and versions thereof?

• SkyeFire

Is there an issue with just using the DeviceNet the robots came with? Assuming that these robots were rigged to act as DN Master/Scanner devices, and not just as Slave/Device modules, it should be pretty simple to just buy some off-the-shelf DN I/O modules, and connect them to the robots. You'll need the DeviceNet cable, terminating resistors, and 24VDC power for the DN bus, but this might allow you to get cheap I/O without needing to make any changes to the Fanuc cabinets

A very good point indeed, something that 'floated' over my mind too and now you have highlighted it suggests to me it's certainly worth investigating further.

I dismissed looking into this as DeviceNet being a mature product, I did not think that there are any standalone field IO options available without the requirement of a PLC.

Are there such devices available then?

The key question would be what version of DN the robots have installed (Slave Only, or Master and Slave). That question I can't help with much, being in the same boat as you for Fanuc experience. But I think if you make a full backup of the robot, I think that the Summary.DG file lists the robot installed options and versions thereof?

Again, another very good point.

As these were removed an automation plant (probably supplied as a standard), I am assuming the Fanucs just to be a slave device as opposed to any Master/Scanner devices fitted.

But again, something to explore further especially the summary.DG file you mentioned.

Many thanks to you both, your information is given me some directions to pursue instead of just trawling through the vast versions of pdf's I have

Very much appreciated indeed............:top:

• Are there such devices available then

What a f.....g dumb question......I should have known better.

Well, it all depends on the option in the Fanuc now as to whether a simple IO block could be hooked up to it.

The option I can see in the summary.DG file is: DeviceNet Interface J753

I don't suppose anyone could say one of these below could simply be fitted as an interface with the above option installed?

https://www.balluff.com/local/…9/cg/G0901/product/F09101

• In many automotive plants that used DN, it was not unusual for the robot to have a "Slave" channel where it connected to the Cell-level PLC, and a "Master" channel (physically separate) where it connected to the various I/O devices that that robot "owned" -- usually the end effector, weld timer, etc.

Those Balluffs should work, but I didn't look to closely. This is one I've used in the past with great ease. DeviceNet is one of the least "fussy" FieldBusses -- as long as you stick to simple discrete polled I/O devices, any of them should work. Config files are usually not required -- on some implementations, it's as simple as telling the robot what the MAC ID (basically, the DN address) of the remote device is, and how many bytes input and how many bytes output it has. On slightly more complex implementations, you might need to add a few elements like the Vendor ID code, firmware revision, etc. But that's about it.

One thing to look out for: the "simple" devices should have their MAC IDs (and sometimes baud rate) settable from dials or switches on the device -- DN I/O modules that need a "master" device to configure them remotely usually aren't supported by robots. A fair number of DN I/O modules have "autobaud" -- on power-up, they pick up on the baud rate the bus Master is using, and automatically match it.

• SkyeFire

In many automotive plants that used DN, it was not unusual for the robot to have a "Slave" channel where it connected to the Cell-level PLC, and a "Master" channel (physically separate) where it connected to the various I/O devices that that robot "owned" -- usually the end effector, weld timer, etc

Yes, an automotive plant I have dealt with using Kawasaki uses Profibus Master on the Controller and the EOAT is the profibus slave.

In addition to this, the Controller is slave on profinet to the PLC Master.

Yes, indeed, the device you have referenced to appears similar to the one I linked to and if the existing Fanuc option allows me to configure the network such as mac and baudrate, then it should work.

So I take your comments on board (pun intended), it may be the Fanuc board/option could be utilized with a simple IO field block in this case.

I should find this out when my client decides to wake up on the other side of the world.....:gaah:

Still yet discover just what the J753 option relates to regarding DeviceNet though......we'lll get there though, many thanks.

• I'm not sure, but I think that J753 is the Master&Slave option. J754 is the Slave-only option.

However, while it looks like the Fanuc controller can support up to 3 DN adapters, but yours only has one. And the style connector in your photo is normally only used on Slave-end units (the extra row of screw terminals is used to daisy-chain the bus).

So, I dunno. It might be that the robot was ordered with the M/S option, but they only used it as a Slave? In that event, you might be able to switch it to being a Master in the I/O settings.

• I assume you are aware, but just in case, you do have the 8 in and 8 out robot I/O if those can satisfy your needs. Not ideal for handshakes or otherwise dealing with external devices/components, but existing I/O points nonetheless!

• droth

Yes, the intended application is just for a couple of buttons, sensors and solenoids (which will be driven by relays), but I think DeviceNet is looking promising now and I thankyou for your information, very beneficial indeed.

SkyeFire

Heehee.........that's so funny, if you saw me reading your post.

As I am reading it, it's looking promising (drawing me in), then you suddenly snatch it away.

However....................

I've just received the DeviceNet manual, and according to this there are 2 dedicated flavours:

- Board A for when R-J3iB is to be master

- Board B for when R-J3iB is to be slave

Also included is the option description too:

- Master and Slave for R-J3iB = A05B-2450-J753

- Slave for R-J3iB = A05B-2450-J754

When I look at the image a little closer, I can see some blue cable and (yes I know I'm comparing it to a picture in a book), Board A has this cable near there.

Along with the J753 option (in the summary.DG file), by elimination it appears it will be Board A.

So this is clarifying what you're saying now.........which is good news,.

I just need to confirm with my client that they do indeed have the above hardware and software option as in the manual and we'll have a peek in the settings.

Thank you sir for pushing the DeviceNet route, it looks very promising indeed.......:applaus:

• Hi all........I have some further images for you regarding the DeviceNet Information for this Controller.

Ok, to further progress this.

Option A, use yellow brick or process IO addon.

Option B, use existing DeviceNet.

My client is just wanting a simple add on field IO interface that will have a couple of push buttons, sensors and solenoids (driven by relays).

They do not want to have to spend $$$$$ on needless kit, but they understand they need to spend some $$$$$.

SkyeFire has pointed out that DeviceNet could be feasible (I am in total agreement with this), depending on what option and current hardware they have, which could utilize a direct connection between Controller and a field IO Block (without requiring a PLC).

Exploring this further, this does indeed look like the simplest option going forward (not necessarily the cheapest).

But if the current option and hardware they have, allows for a simple field IO block connecting up to the Controller, then this is the way forward.

So, could someone kindly just review my thought process on this (you will not be liable in anyway should it not work).

Current option installed is:

- Master and Slave for R-J3iB = A05B-2450-J753

My client has both flavours of boards (according the R-J3iB DeviceNet Manual) - Board A (1st Image) and Board B (2nd Image).

In the DeviceNet Manual, it stipulates that option J753 is for Master/Slave and also that Board A is for Master/Slave.

This is telling me that:

- I can use Board A to communicate to a field IO device directly using DeviceNet.

- Set the Controller up in the DeviceNet settings (allowed by option J753).

Has anyone got any thoughts on if this configuration would or would not work?

Any further information would be gratefully received.

• Hi
    How did you go with this?
    I have two M16's with RJ-3 controllers and was looking into the same thing.
    On the robot itself there should be hard wired inputs and outputs that can be used.

I've been looking into mounting a small ESP32 dev board on my robot connected to the inputs and outputs then using this for communication over either lora or wifi.
    Its kinda hacky but should work.

• With respect, not a viable solution for an industrial application I'm afraid.

Whilst I don't doubt the theory behind it, there is no way myself or my client would consider this as any sort of solution for many reasons.

The resolution in the end, was exactly what SkyeFire was referring to, a separate DN IO block connected to the already installed DN interface board.

Remotely mounted in the field with power and communication line back to the controller, and then the local IO connected from the DN IO Block to the external peripherals.

A sound, solid, quick and efficient solution and following industrial standards.

• hello I can buy what they are not going to use the part that is left over I buy it

I'm looking for teach pendal and other parts mother boarth in another part let me know :smiling_face:

• fidellamothe

Google translated:

' Hello, can I buy what they are not going to use? I buy what is left over'

' I'm looking for a pendant and other motherboard parts elsewhere, let me know'.

Unfortunately, not, all have been re-purposed now.

You may to look at 2nd user robot sellers, in the UK a company called Global Robots who ship worldwide may be worth looking at:

Robots (globalrobots.com)

Advertising from our partners