One KRC4 SmartPAD connection to multiple controllers without ROBOTeam

• Hello, is it possible somehow to connect one KRC4 SmartPAD to multiple controllers(you select to which one the Smart Pad connects) in the cell from one place... For example, if i have 30 controllers of the same KSS type 8.6 installed on high ground, and i would like to be able to establish connection with only one KRC4 SmartPad to desired controller from one central location so that i can drive the robot connected to that controller from that central location.... and without physically going to controller and reswitching the cable from SmartPad to different controllers...

Also buying 30 extention cables and route them to one central place is also not option...

With RoboTeam far as i know it is only possible to 4 robots with one SmartPad...

I also know the Virtual Pendant application... but that is also not suitable because you have to first have controller in EXT in order to move the robot...

I'm thinking of somekind of SmartPad router maybe, i have never seen this, every time for each of the controller there was SmartPad along the controller...

Is this even possible?

• I don't think there's any such option on the market -- it violates SPOC principles, for one thing. That's one big reason the RoboTeam robots have to have lights on the arms to indicate which robot is "live".

The SmartPad runs multiple network connections, IIRC: EtherCat for the safety elements (deadman, E-Stop, etc), and a "normal" TCP/IP/UDP interface to run a Remote Desktop session for the KUKA HMI. There's probably more that I'm not aware of.

• suppose you have one smartPad and 30 robots.... can you even see what robot #29 is doing when you use that smartPad?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Customer idea is to have one long or multiple extension cables, and one central place from where the operator would go around routing somehow this long extension cable and navigate somehow to the robot with the SmartPad in order to make touchups....

• and have all the cable jungle instead of walking to a correct controller with the smartPad in hand and simply plugging it in?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Why does the customer even want this? Are they trying to save money by only getting one SmartPad? That really strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.

I supposed the ideal solution would be a wireless SmartPad, but I'm pretty sure KUKA doesn't make one.

• Thank you for your opinions, i also don't see any benefits from this, just troubles... Just wanted to be sure if any of you maybeeee somewhere saw this kind of setup, because i have never seen it...

Advertising from our partners