OLD (C40 controller + J10 robot) EXT.HOLD doesn't allow program to run

• Hello all,

I never worked with a KAWASAKI robot.

A good customer called me a few minutes ago asking for help. He has bought four J10 robots in the second hand market. 3 of those robots work properly, the last one, can be moved manually (jogging) but it doesn't start the program in automatic mode.

In the pendant/console, he can see a switch EXT.HOLD active which is not present in the other 3 robots.

In one manual I've found in the Internet for the D SERIES CONTROLLER, it states that the signal AUX 0601 should be resetted to be able to perform a start if the ext.hold is not needed.

Having the customer at 300km, being completely impossible to remotely connect to the robot and without having touched one KAWASAKI in my life... could anyone here send me a manual for that controller that explain how to solve the EXT.HOLD problem?

Any ideas what else to check?

Thank you very much in advance.

:thumbs_up:

• C and D Controllers, even though they both contain Ext Hold functionality, they are set and configured slightly differently as default.

Both controllers have a hardware input option (this is usually wired as default) and additional software option.

Hardware Option (as default):

- C4x Controllers hardware link is inserted on Terminal Strip TB2 between pin 19 and pin 20.

- D4x Controllers hardware link is inserted on 1KP board Terminal X9 between pin 7 and pin 8.

Software Option:

- C4x Controller - Aux Function 111 Dedicated Inputs - EXT_IT input setting.

- D4x Controller - Aux Function 0601 Dedicated Inputs - EXT_IT input setting.

Removal of either hardware or software signal, results in Ext Hold function activated and motion not possible.

The hardware option takes priority (ie this signal must always be maintained) even if the software option is not used in order to move robot.

Ask your customer to check terminal TB2 for Ext Hold jumper circuit connection and Aux Function 111 Dedicated Inputs for EXT_IT setting.

The following post contains the external io manual, which refers to the hardware configuration using TB2 - Section A-27.

Re: C-Series Documentation & Manuals

Hope this helps...........

• What I forgot to mention and elaborate in my previous post (I was in a rush).......

At the end, the jumper and the function was exactly like in the working robots...

Is the jumper installed then?

Is any signal allocated in Aux Function 111?

if Aux Function 111 has a signal allocated, is this signal being received on the applicable input?

- If not, then this will generate the Ext Hold.

- So you could test this by un-allocating it - and if it releases it, then you know that input is not being seen by the controller.

- If this signal is being fed into the general purpose IO board (1GW/1HW), then it could be that input circuit is damaged and will need replacing.

- Alternatively, if you have a spare input available, you can move the wire and reallocate it in Aux Function 111.

My next question would be if the above is all good and still in Ext Hold:

- Has your customer tried to download or alter any information in this controller at all.

Failing that, could you provide a full data backup (without compromising company IP)?

You could send it to me via conversation instead (discretion assured) and I'll have a look over it.

A screenshot of the teach pendant status screen - is it displaying Ext Hold or Ext Hold Released?

• Hello again,

First of all, thank you for your help diagnosing this issue.

Customer told me the jumper is there...

I've received a screenshot of the AUX111 in the pendant:

My customer told me that this robot has exactly the same configuration than the ones that work.

Given your previous posts, and seeing this screenshot, I understand that the EXT_IT signal is pointing to the signal 0 in the general purpose IO board.

Could you confirm me this is correct?

If that would be right, then, maybe the input 0 in the general purpose IO board is not connected in the failing robot... (Or that board could be damaged).

Again, thanks for your time and help.

• Ok, so the jumper is there, and the fact you can manually jog the robot tells me the 'jumper' circuit is working.

Referencing the screenshot and Aux Function 111.

For your future information in C Controller, any dedicated signal (input/output) that is allocated signal 0, means it is not in use. as signal 0 does not exist.

So the information in Aux Function 111 as above, is saying the EXT_IT dedicated input is not allocated (ie not being used).

So this is not where the problem is.

Assuming then it is not an actual firmware issue, I think it could well be an internal setting of the system (not a user setting like an Aux Function).

However this requires me to review a full data backup of the Controller.

Could you possibly send me this via conversation?

• I will ask the customer to do it.

There will not be a problem regarding data privacy, the problem here will be to know how to do it. ^^¡

I've searched for the word "backup" in all the manuals posted in the manuals section and have not found a way to perform it.

Do you have any manual that I can check to explain the customer the steps to do it?

(Sorry to ask for those so basic things).

Thank you again!

• No problem, but there are a couple of methods:

The easiest is highlighted below.

- On the rear of the teach pendant is a PCMCIA Flash card slot located under a flap.

- If they have a PCMCIA flash card (max supported memory size in the C Controller was upto 32Mb only).

- So if they have one of these, slide it in the slot at the rear of the teach pendant.

Then follow the screenshots below:

Go to Aux 10 and press Return

Select ALL Data and press Return

Press the Character Tab (F4) to display keyboard

Enter a filename and press Enter

Just press Return to start the save process.

When complete message is seen, exit out of the Aux Func.

Remove the PCMCIA card, transfer the file called backup.as to a PC.

In order to post it on the forum or via conversation, you will need to change the file extension from .as to .txt.

The other options to save are via Floppy disc, so if they have a floppy disc unit and floppy disc.

- This unit requires separate power and the communication just plugs into the serial connector on the front of the controller.

- Then instead of Aux Function 11, they should have Aux Function 20 and the process is exactly the same as the above screenshots.

The other option will probably be RS232 only.

- If you have a look here Kawasaki Online Terminal Editors

- Download the zip file and extract the contents.

- Then locate the KCWin32 folder (this is RS232 application for Kawasaki).

- Inside this folder is the application the customer needs to execute and a small configuration guide showing a simple backup.

Hope this helps.............:top:

• I think I have found your problem.

In order to resolve it, I need to give you a file to load into the Controller.

As you were unsure how to save data, I assume this would be the case in respect of loading data too.

So can you tell me how you made the filesave - PCMCIA Card, Floppy or RS232?

• OK, we've done the change and uploaded the file you sent me.

Now, curiously is the other hold button the one that is affected.

As you can see in the attached images:

FIRST ROBOT THE ONE THAT WE HAVE UPDATED WITH YOUR MODIFICATION:

SECOND ROBOT THE ONE THAT WORKS:

Does this means anything for you?

Thank you very much!

• I'm just looking over the circuits and I cannot see why that is occurring, unless the Run/Hold switch on the front of the cabinet is faulty.

So electrically, this could do with investigating and proving to work.

Did this switch function ok prior to the file being uploaded?

If so.....I think we need to revert it back to how it was.

Check your conversation and load in the file attached, this reverts it back to the previous condition and puts it back to how it was before.

Then check the Run/Hold switch again by toggling it to change state and see if it works again.

If it does, then could you get a backup from one of the cells that is working and send it to me and I'll do a direct comparison to see if this is a setting issue, otherwise it could well be a low logic issue, internal harness issue, or a board failure, so below are some additional checks for these.

The other checks you could make after returning it to it's previous conditions are:

On the 1GA/1HA Cpu Board are a 4 test pins for voltages.

- TP 1 Black is 0v

- TP 2 Yellow = -12VDC

- TP 3 Yellow = +12VDC

- TP 4 Yellow = +5VDC

Could you check and confirm these are the correct voltages, if not you can adjust them using the potentiometers mounted on the AVR unit.

It could be one of these (+12VDC) may by a little too low.

But you should not adjust the voltages any higher than what they should be.

Locate the 1HP board and with the control power off:

- There are 4 harnesses that connect to it, make sure these are all connected securely and there are no bent pins.

- Also makes sure the 1HP board is correctly seated in the rack, by removing it and pushing it back in.

- The other thing you can try AFTER returning it back to the previous state, is if possible, exchange the 1HP board between controllers and see if the fault moves to the other controller.

This would indicate the 1HP is faulty.

Advertising from our partners