KUKA RAM MEMORY EXCHANGE

• Hello guys! Can I replace the original kuka ram memory 2G (see photo attached) for a 4G memory with the same specifications and manufacturer?(see photo attached) Or is it going to occur a memory failure?

• If you simply swap the memory, You will probably get this (KSS10038)

I heard stories about people replacing the original memories for vanilla ones, with some hacking.

But since I've never seen this myself, I wouldn't recommend You do this.

• no they don't.... if the specs were exactly the same, then everything would be the same - memory capacity too. and the specs are only part of things that software can evaluate. we don't know how KSS determines if RAM is certified. could be range of serial numbers, could be some special ID or whatever.... you can try to replace it and hope for the best.

here is another example:

Police, DMV, car mechanics etc are able to distinguish between these thee cars that are obviously same brand, model, color, passenger capacity, same year etc. and no, it is not the witchcraft.

seriously, there is tons of options to mark RAM modules certain way and it would be difficult for enduser to modify something:

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• From what I recall, the KRC2s didn't have any RAM checking, but I've never tried putting consumer-grade RAM into a KRC4.

The root issue is, consumer-grade RAM has "loose" tolerances, most often in access timing. Desktop OSs like Windows and iOS can tolerate these variances.

A deterministic, hard-realtime OS like VxWorks (which is what the actual "robot" part of the KRC runs on -- Windows is only there to run the pendant) is not tolerant of these timing variances. And when you buy consumer-grade RAM, you might get lucky, or you might not. It's random.

The "certified" RAM probably comes off the same production line as the consumer-grade RAM, but has been put through validation testing that it meets the tighter industrial requirements. RAM units that fail these tests but are still "okay" otherwise probably get re-packaged and sold as consumer-grade RAM. Intel used to do this with the 486-series CPUs -- a 486SX was a 486DX whose math coprocessor had failed quality checking, but was otherwise fine, so Intel would simply "burn out" the coprocessor and re-badge the chip as an SX.

• I assume that the amount of RAM is more important than the access speed. The fact is that on KRC4 VxWorks starts its work AFTER Windows 7 is booted (this happens with the UploadRTOS.exe application).

VxWorks may not boot at all if, for example, there is no free processor core for it. I have had this happen because the process of recovering Windows 7 from the image has been done without any further reconfiguration. And Windows 7 was running on both cores available.

A similar situation can theoretically happen with RAM because UploadRTOS must correctly allocate the address space for the second operating system.

• I assume that the amount of RAM is more important than the access speed. T

Not really? When I've seen it fail on KRC2s, the new "consumer grade" RAM was either equal to, or greater than, the amount of KUKA-sourced RAM being replaced. I've also seen it succeed on KRC2s, but the pass/fail it essentially random -- same model RAM, same manufacturer, runs the Windows side of the robot's brain just fine, passes MEMTest on a regular PC just fine, but won't run VxWorks.

One irony: when the KRC1 came out, there were a lot of issues in some locales with people stealing the RAM (or the CD-ROM, or the entire PC rack!) to take home for their home computers. To the point that some plants welded padlock hasps onto the KRC cabinet doors. KRC parts would work perfectly well in home PCs, but the reverse was a bit of a crapshoot.

• One irony: when the KRC1 came out, there were a lot of issues in some locales with people stealing the RAM (or the CD-ROM, or the entire PC rack!) to take home for their home computers. To the point that some plants welded padlock hasps onto the KRC cabinet doors. KRC parts would work perfectly well in home PCs, but the reverse was a bit of a crapshoot.

I remember a similar situation when the KRCE ed05 came out and I was at an automaker facility.

Controllers came with an internal USB stick, hidden under a little metal plate, attached on PC side.

Someone discovered it and, well, few days later, there wasn't no internal usb sticks left.

• what do you say to someone open package with KUKA Recovery stick and immediately decide to just hand it out as a cool souvenir to his kid curious to see the robot

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners